porridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
another on the soak it overnight brigade...
1/2 cup oats (rolled is preferred), 1 cup soya milk (I'm allergic to dairy). Soak overnight, bring to boil in pan in the morning and sorted. Prefer it sweetened with demerara sugar which adds a little crunch (not to mention gives me some sugar to get going), but will have with grape molasses or similar.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Something nobody has mentioned yet, it's great for your bowels! No more constipation with a daily bowl. The chunkier the oats are the better.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Half a mug of porridge, mug of almond milk, cooked slowly, sprinkled with crushed sesame seeds, some raspberries and maple syrup .......sets me up nicely for my commute .

screenman

Legendary Member
1/2 mug of oats, twice that water a splash of milk and one sweetener, micro 2 minutes, leave then stir, micro another minute leave then stir another splash of milk then another minute. Eat whilst reading and posting on here most mornings.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I am very disappointed with Quaker for milling their oats too fine. It makes it too mushy, it never used to be like that. Can anyone suggest a better alternative?

Adam1965

Not saying this is any better but this from Aldi is quite nice
image.jpg

sheffgirl

I was having the Lidl oats (39p for a 500g bag) but they took about 5 minutes and I don't want to spend too much time away from my desk or hog the microwave. So I've gone back to the instant microwave ones, but I have plain now, and add some honey. The flavoured ones have about 15g of sugar in! I have whole milk, I need the calories and I like the taste :smile:
The pots that you add hot water to are gross, and taste like cardboard

Cycleops

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2999628, member: 259"]Buy pinhead oatmeal, it has a much better texture, but needs soaking overnight. Quaker oats are babyfood.[/QUOTE]
And mix it with oats in what proportion? Or are you suggesting eating by itself?

tadpole

Aldi whole rolled oats 89p per 1kg
I have 40g in 300ml of semi skimmed milk,
2 minutes in the microwave (stop after a minute to stir)
Leave for 2 minutes, then eat. Keeps me happy until lunch time.
Even in aldi the pre-weighed packets are £2 for ten, and the pots are 60p each (as apposed to 3.56p if you buy in bulk)

Top Bottom