Port. Is it a con?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
The depth of knowledge of worldly matters on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Port is delish, especially when mixed with Guinness.

Put about half an inch in the bottom of a pint pot and top it up with a can of draught Guinness, it colours and flavours the head as well so if you use the same glass for all four cans the froth is like a meal on it's own.
Popularly known as as Black Velvet I believe. Haven't had that for years but rather nice.

stephec

Legendary Member
Popularly known as as Black Velvet I believe. Haven't had that for years but rather nice.
Isn't that champagne and Guinness? It leaves a really sticky residue on the floor, BTW.
Champers and Guinness is one that I've always known as a black velvet, I did once hear port and Guinness called a red velvet, and I was rather disappointed as I thought that I'd invented it myself.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
By way of a PS to this thread I've just remembered something my brother told me when he was doing his Army Officer training. Each cadet gets the job of running the mess bar for a week or two and during his time the permanent NCO who actually ran the bar let him into a trade secret: buy cheap port and tip a teaspoon of brandy into the bottle. Customers will think it's fantastic and you can charge the full whack for a good brand, pocketing the difference.

So yes, lots of port probably is a con!

Last edited:

JohnHughes307

Über Member
That reminds me of my student days when we used to have a pint of black death, half a Guinness with half of Robinson's Old Tom Barley Wine, brilliant stuff.
I thought Black Death was a failed Salford Sunrise - A Guiness XXX (a stronger bottled Guiness that they only made for a while) carefully poured over a Carlsberg Special Brew so that it faded from black at the top to gold at the bottom. After two you couldn't pour the third properly and you ended with a Black Death....

stephec

Legendary Member
I thought Black Death was a failed Salford Sunrise - A Guiness XXX (a stronger bottled Guiness that they only made for a while) carefully poured over a Carlsberg Special Brew so that it faded from black at the top to gold at the bottom. After two you couldn't pour the third properly and you ended with a Black Death....
That sounds a bit deadly, but strangely alluring.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
By way of a PS to this thread I've just remembered something my brother told me when he was doing his Army Officer training. Each cadet gets the job of running the mess bar for a week or two and during his time the permanent NCO who actually ran the bar let him into a trade secret: buy cheap port and tip a teaspoon of brandy into the bottle. Customers will think it's fantastic and you can charge the full whack for a good brand, pocketing the difference.

So yes, lots of port probably is a con!

Perhaps a bit of a simplification but port more or less is a mixture of wine and brandy in any case

Dave7

Legendary Member
Go and buy a bottle of vintage port, then report back. You can get a decent one from somewhere like Tesco for about £20

Vintage port is a great drink. If that's a bit pricey get Late Bottled Vintage instead (but must be unfiltered)
We drink cheap port but only with Cognac. A while ago M&S were selling an end of line vintage port at a stupid price......so we bought the last 6 bottles. Not impressed. On its own or with Cognac we prefer the cheap Aldi one.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Hmm, I really fancy some now. Got a bit of LBV in the drinks cupboard and some Cockburn's White Port which is good in the summer.

Is Port essential basics on a grocery run ?

Top Bottom