Port. Is it a con?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Don't overindulge. Port gives you an absolutely thumping hangover, as I discovered in my twenties. I haven't touched it since.

Indeed it does!

Some 30 years ago we went to a then neighbours party of about 16 people. After much drinking (and some strange smelling ciggies - not that I touched them; honest) and merriment, a 1.5L bottle of Port was handed around and only myself and Lovely Wife liked it. We ended up drinking the lot between us.

Well, next morning we woke up on the floor of our own lounge both totally naked but each wearing a sheepskin jacket that neither of us possessed.

Later that day, after we had sobered up somewhat, we took them back to the party house and nothing at all was said and nor were we given any clothes back to our somewhat embarrassed surprise. Thankfully, we later found them in a room in our own house that we didn't use much.

The situation could've been much worse of course... :rolleyes:

PK99

Legendary Member
Just found a bottle of a 2002 South African port in the back of a cupboard so decided to open it to help pass the day. It's smooth and oakey but the main characteristic is sugar. So my question is: can you just drown any old red (or white for sherry) in sugar knowing that it will appeal to the taste buds or is there genuine art in producing fortified wines?

View attachment 515075

That is not Port, it is an imitation of dubious heritage.

D

Deleted member 26715

Many moons ago I used to drink poor man's black velvet half Guiness, half cider, it was fun to watch somebody who had never poured it before putting the Guiness in first before the cider :laugh::laugh:

Just found a bottle of a 2002 South African port in the back of a cupboard so decided to open it to help pass the day. It's smooth and oakey but the main characteristic is sugar. So my question is: can you just drown any old red (or white for sherry) in sugar knowing that it will appeal to the taste buds or is there genuine art in producing fortified wines?

View attachment 515075
That bottle is. It was made by a co-operative cellar that makes very cheap wine. Nowadays the South African wine industry adheres to the Protected Domain laws and no longer use the label Port, but Cape Ruby instread.
I think that's just plain red wine with cane sugar and industrial alcohol added to boost the kick.

Real port is sold as Ruby Port (not matured) or Tawny Port (matured in oak for many years).

The difference in taste is chalk and cheese. You can get some good "port" (Cape Ruby) from the Cape. Axe Hill (sp?) and Calitzdorp comes to mind.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Don't overindulge. Port gives you an absolutely thumping hangover, as I discovered in my twenties. I haven't touched it since.

Very true, but, I do keep on indulging, in the hope I may be mistaken ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I fear this is true. I really really like port, though have only gone for middle grade stuff so far and it's a magical product. sadly I do seem to pay a disproportionate price the next day. That said it's a lot stronger than it tastes, so you can accidentally over indulge, and if the port comes out it's likely been a well-refreshed evening regardless

Thank you, a good phrase to remember, for next time, I am sure, there will be a next time ;)

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Port is delish, especially when mixed with Guinness.

Put about half an inch in the bottom of a pint pot and top it up with a can of draught Guinness, it colours and flavours the head as well so if you use the same glass for all four cans the froth is like a meal on it's own.
So that's 4 cans and one bottle and all the main food groups are covered :thumbsup:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That bottle is. It was made by a co-operative cellar that makes very cheap wine. Nowadays the South African wine industry adheres to the Protected Domain laws and no longer use the label Port, but Cape Ruby instread.
I think that's just plain red wine with cane sugar and industrial alcohol added to boost the kick.

Real port is sold as Ruby Port (not matured) or Tawny Port (matured in oak for many years).

The difference in taste is chalk and cheese. You can get some good "port" (Cape Ruby) from the Cape. Axe Hill (sp?) and Calitzdorp comes to mind.
Yep, big fan of Tawny Port here. If you fancy a real 'taste combination' A La Heston Blumminheck try having a bite of a (McVities) Digestive biscuit, buttered and with some nice Stilton on it then after 1 chew at it having a sip of Tawny Port then chewing the mouthful. :becool:

Top Bottom