Port. Is it a con?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just found a bottle of a 2002 South African port in the back of a cupboard so decided to open it to help pass the day. It's smooth and oakey but the main characteristic is sugar. So my question is: can you just drown any old red (or white for sherry) in sugar knowing that it will appeal to the taste buds or is there genuine art in producing fortified wines?

20200414_172030.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tell us after you've sampled the bottle :laugh:

Mfezela

Just found a bottle of a 2002 South African port in the back of a cupboard so decided to open it to help pass the day. It's smooth and oakey but the main characteristic is sugar. So my question is: can you just drown any old red (or white for sherry) in sugar knowing that it will appeal to the taste buds or is there genuine art in producing fortified wines?

View attachment 515075

stephec

Legendary Member
Port is delish, especially when mixed with Guinness.

Put about half an inch in the bottom of a pint pot and top it up with a can of draught Guinness, it colours and flavours the head as well so if you use the same glass for all four cans the froth is like a meal on it's own.

stephec

Legendary Member
Heathen. It's Tia Maria in Guinness.
:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Don't overindulge. Port gives you an absolutely thumping hangover, as I discovered in my twenties. I haven't touched it since.

I fear this is true. I really really like port, though have only gone for middle grade stuff so far and it's a magical product. sadly I do seem to pay a disproportionate price the next day. That said it's a lot stronger than it tastes, so you can accidentally over indulge, and if the port comes out it's likely been a well-refreshed evening regardless

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I fear this is true. I really really like port, though have only gone for middle grade stuff so far and it's a magical product. sadly I do seem to pay a disproportionate price the next day. That said it's a lot stronger than it tastes, so you can accidentally over indulge, and if the port comes out it's likely been a well-refreshed evening regardless
All true! My downfall was a friend's stag dinner. There was no accidental overindulging at all.

Top Bottom