Portable mini pump recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donnasdr

Hello cyclists :smile:

Could someone please help me choose the best portable pump for my bff's triathlon?. Im hesitating between the lezyne pressure drive mini pump (195 mm 120 PSI) and the topeak mini race rocket. Thanks so much!
His bike has presta valves if that makes a difference.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
To be honest, if it is for competition/triathlon use then I guess speed is of the essence and hand pumping a tyre is the last thing you would want?

Lezyne and Topeak both make excellent products so while I haven't experienced either pump (I have the Topeak Pocket Rocket on two of my bikes) I am sure both would be perfectly functional.

However, for pure speed you have to look at a CO2 inflator. I have a brilliant minimalist but very useable/functional Lezyne CO2 inflator that I often pull out to inflate tyres after failed attempts by cycling buddies with their CO2 inflators (hissing fits and red faces for the parties concerned :laugh:)

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/control-drive-co2

It comes in a range of colours (Mine is purple.....) and just seems to work while being easy to use due to its on/off tap design.

I'm sure the BFF in your life would be eternally grateful for such a fine gift?

OP
OP
D

donnasdr

To be honest, if it is for competition/triathlon use then I guess speed is of the essence and hand pumping a tyre is the last thing you would want?

Lezyne and Topeak both make excellent products so while I haven't experienced either pump (I have the Topeak Pocket Rocket on two of my bikes) I am sure both would be perfectly functional.

However, for pure speed you have to look at a CO2 inflator. I have a brilliant minimalist but very useable/functional Lezyne CO2 inflator that I often pull out to inflate tyres after failed attempts by cycling buddies with their CO2 inflators (hissing fits and red faces for the parties concerned :laugh:)

It comes in a range of colours (Mine is purple.....) and just seems to work while being easy to use due to its on/off tap design.

Thank you so much for such a thorough reply! 😃 thats very helpful. I looked into CO2 inflators and they do seem like the optimal racing pump but the thing is he is travelling for the triathlon and I am worried that travelling with it would be a problem (even in checked luggage) I was looking through the list of prohibited items and although obviously it wouldnt say CO2 bike pump explicitly 😂 im pretty sure it goes into "gas tanks" or whatever.

OP
OP
D

donnasdr

https://www.bikelaw.com/2020/02/co2-cartridges-are-on-the-no-fly-list/

Yep! Thought so. We re not in the US but I feel like this would be pretty universal

OP
OP
D

donnasdr

Wow I hadnt even considered the pocket rocket! I only saw the race rocket (this is all quite mind boggling for someone who is an outsider to this world:laugh:)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The Pocket Rocket has been great for me. I carry it always whether commuting, MTB'ing or cycling Lands End to John o Groats and it never lets me down. I like it so much that after a few years I got worried if they stopped making them would I wouldn't be able to get another if mine ever failed so I bought another. I am still using the original after about 10+ yrs :laugh:

My CO2 inflator is a bit of a toy because I like well made things and it is very well made (and did I mention, a lovely colour?)

CO2 is convenient and quick and small but, the self-sufficiency streak in my mentality refuses to let me rely on it because once your CO2 cylinders are used you are stuck, whereas with a hand pump you can keep repairing punctures as long as you have strength in your arms!

If flying with CO2 cyclinders is a problem I'm sure a few can be purchased at the destination if needed?

OP
OP
D

donnasdr

The Pocket Rocket has been great for me. I carry it always whether commuting, MTB'ing or cycling Lands End to John o Groats and it never lets me down. I like it so much that after a few years I got worried if they stopped making them would I wouldn't be able to get another if mine ever failed so I bought another. I am still using the original after about 10+ yrs :laugh:

My CO2 inflator is a bit of a toy because I like well made things and it is very well made (and did I mention, a lovely colour?)

CO2 is convenient and quick and small but, the self-sufficiency streak in my mentality refuses to let me rely on it because once your CO2 cylinders are used you are stuck, whereas with a hand pump you can keep repairing punctures as long as you have strength in your arms!

If flying with CO2 cyclinders is a problem I'm sure a few can be purchased at the destination if needed?
Okay Im sold on the pocket rocket!! When I looked it up it have even better reviews than the race rocket - I am surprised it didnt come up in my initial (and extensive!) search! I think its the best option for this occasion. Thing is we are travelling to somewhere foreign and new and arriving day before race so might be a little bit of a hassle to look for something there or order it. Plus we r travelling a little on the way back so its not like we could bring it back with us might not be very practical! The purple color does look pretty awesome though 😁😁

The pump would also be part of a gift bundle Im giving him before the flight so also made sense to have all the gift components! I will definitely pass on your notes to him about the co2 pump though! I think like yourself he can benefit from both but the pocket rocket is more fitting for this occasion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got a couple of Lezyne minipumps and they have never let me down. IMVHO, flexible hoses are far better than fixed pump heads. You don't break the valve stem or pump seal when you are clumsy / cold / in a hurry.

I have ridden with a fair few folk who’s Lezyne pumps have unscrewed the valves from their tubes after they pump them up.

What does he use now when he goes out ?
It would be unusual to change kit the day before a race. What is the race by the way - sounds interesting.

Mike_P

Guru
Pump & controllable CO2 canister are a good combination IMO. The pump to get the air needed on the tyre to fit and then initially inflate further so not wasting part of a CO2 canister if their is a faulty valve, then the CO2 canister to quickly inflate fully. Pity no one seems to make a controllable CO2 valve with a pressure gauge on built. As for the requested recommendation I have a Lezyne road drive pump which is fine.

Sharky

Guru
I've got three pocket rockets on each of my road bikes. These do a decent job when out on the road. But for setting up, I always use a track pump before leaving home or before the start of a race. On my TT bike, I carry a fairly inefficient, but very small pump in my under the saddle bag. Doesn't do a great pressure, but just enough to get me home. Should I puncture in a race, I would retire and make my way back to the HQ.

If your BFF is doing a tri, he would probably want to finish, regardless of time lost, so a decent small pump is the best.

Are you sure he is on tubed tyres? If he is on tubeless, he would just need a good pump before the event and not worry during the event.

OP
OP
D

donnasdr

I've got a couple of Lezyne minipumps and they have never let me down. IMVHO, flexible hoses are far better than fixed pump heads. You don't break the valve stem or pump seal when you are clumsy / cold / in a hurry.

Good to know thank you for your reply!

OP
OP
D

donnasdr

I've got three pocket rockets on each of my road bikes. These do a decent job when out on the road. But for setting up, I always use a track pump before leaving home or before the start of a race. On my TT bike, I carry a fairly inefficient, but very small pump in my under the saddle bag. Doesn't do a great pressure, but just enough to get me home. Should I puncture in a race, I would retire and make my way back to the HQ.

If your BFF is doing a tri, he would probably want to finish, regardless of time lost, so a decent small pump is the best.

Are you sure he is on tubed tyres? If he is on tubeless, he would just need a good pump before the event and not worry during the event.

Thank you for your reply!! I ordered a pocket rocket so Im happy you also have a good experience with it thats a good question! How can I know if its tube or tubeless? I have one pic I can share if it helps

Attachments

• A32795E2-F8F2-4DDD-8C78-E4593C9DD406.jpeg
    A32795E2-F8F2-4DDD-8C78-E4593C9DD406.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom