Porto Pollenca (Majorca) anyone been recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Many years (30+) since we went to Majorca. Then it was Alcudia which I believe is really built up now.
We have a hankering to go back again.
We want b&b so we can try different restaurants.
Any thoughts ?
We did the Algarve this year (Alvor) and won happily go back but fancy trying Majorca again.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Went through there last summer on our way to Cap Formentor. It's mile after mile of beach resort with all the ghastly hotels and bars that go with that. If you want to cycle and see the real Mallorca go to Soller in the Tramuntana mountains, it's got Port Soller nearby with beach, touristy stuff but no hoards of bloated Brits, diving, boat trips on a wooden sailing pilot cutter, easy access to all the famous climbs, bike hire in the port and in Calle Luna, the lovely 1911 citrus train to Palma and several superb fincas. We always stay at Finca C'as Sant, an absolute haven of tranquillity. It's only 10 minutes walk from bike hire and the town's restaurants.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Went through there last summer on our way to Cap Formentor. It's mile after mile of beach resort with all the ghastly hotels and bars that go with that. If you want to cycle and see the real Mallorca go to Soller in the Tramuntana mountains, it's got Port Soller nearby with beach, touristy stuff but no hoards of bloated Brits, diving, boat trips on a wooden sailing pilot cutter, easy access to all the famous climbs, bike hire in the port and in Calle Luna, the lovely 1911 citrus train to Palma and several superb fincas. We always stay at Finca C'as Sant, an absolute haven of tranquillity. It's only 10 minutes walk from bike hire and the town's restaurants.
Thanks.
Cycling will only be a tiny part of it......probably 2 half days as Mrs D doesnt cycle.
At our age we want a good hotel, some pleasant 3-5 mile walks and a good choice of restaurants. I also want some nice easy snorkelling.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Then Soller ticks the boxes. We did exactly the same. Finca C'as Sant has two pools and is of the highest quality with superb breakfasts. The family who own and run it are discrete, dignified, professional and not gushing or over-familiar. Taxis are quick and cheaper to Port Soller than the tram. There is a good dive school in Port Soller, Soller Divers. Good walking starts from Soller including a superb walk over to Deia. If you plan to do the walk let me know and I'll give you some pointers. I did it with my collar bone busted!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Puerto Pollenca is nothing like Alcudia.

It’s a small, peaceful resort with plenty of different restaurants, a nice sandy beach with shallow waters and good walking on hand, be that through fields or the bottom of the stunning Boquer Valley.

You can do some nice flat rides to Caimari, Selva, Sa Pobla etc.

Old town Pollenca is very nice too.

Loads of bike hire too.

Jimidh

Veteran
Port De Pollensa is a great base for a family / couples holiday. Good beaches, nice bars and range of restuarants.

Not full of yobs.

Also great as a cycling base. When i’ve Been with the family I just get up early and leave about 7am - 3-4 hours ride and i’m back ready for a day with the family.

Are you sure you are talking about Puerto Pollensa? Sounds more like the Alcudia/Ca'n Picafort road.

Puerto Pollensa and its inland neighbour Pollensa are nothing like that. Plenty to do, or relax if you prefer. More varied cycling around P. Pollensa.

Proto

Legendary Member
Went through there last summer on our way to Cap Formentor. It's mile after mile of beach resort with all the ghastly hotels and bars that go with that.

This is very misleading. Porta Polenca is nothing like Alcudia, the latter being horrible overdeveloped. Polenca, by contrast is rather nice, quiet, almost sleepy. The sort of place you might enjoy even without bikes. Beach, restaurants, good quality accommodation, and very decent rides up into the mountains or flatter rides into the island centre. The ride out to the lighthouse is one of my all time favourites.

BTW the lair of the evil arms dealer in The Night Manager is in Porta Polenca.

Top Bottom