Porto Pollenca (Majorca) anyone been recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Was there last September. We stayed in Alcudia, went to PP a couple of times, including by (hybrid) bike and up to Pollensa old town

Chris S

Legendary Member
Thanks.
Cycling will only be a tiny part of it......probably 2 half days as Mrs D doesnt cycle.
At our age we want a good hotel, some pleasant 3-5 mile walks and a good choice of restaurants. I also want some nice easy snorkelling.
You can get a vintage train\tram to Soller. It seemed really nice even though there was torrential rain :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's amazing, Victorian splendour and super views, like an Indian hill railway. But for more than two people a taxi is cheaper, same with the tram to Port Soller.

Thread resurrection, I was there tonight 🙄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-205617_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-205617_Strava.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Funnily enough,i'm going there next week. It was a bargain! Only 300 quid for the fortnight,though i have to stump up 1700 quid for my 10 days in quarantine on return! :whistle:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Looked at that. Not too much in the way of hotel or restaurant choices though.
On the plus side the bay looks stunning
We absolutely love Pollenca. The northern end (nearer where the base is for the yellow sea plane you'll see take off and land every day) is much quieter and nicer. You're near the wonderful Boquer Valley as I think someone above pointed out. I run down there at every opportunity and once (and I swear this is true and not a heat-induced fantasy), I got to the little beach at the end and there was a photoshoot of naked women and they were VERY beautiful naked women! It involves a steep drop down a shelf at the bottom of which is nothing but the beach so it would have looked obvious want my destination was so I had to enjoy the view on my much-needed 'rest'.

There's a steep climb en-route to the Formentor lighthouse which is a marvellous ride although a bit on the short side for me. I was politely prevented from descending that on my last ride there because the then fledgling Bradley Wiggins cycling team were shooting a commercial where only their riders could be seen.

I can strongly recommend Pollenca!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We absolutely love Pollenca. The northern end (nearer where the base is for the yellow sea plane you'll see take off and land every day) is much quieter and nicer. You're near the wonderful Boquer Valley as I think someone above pointed out. I run down there at every opportunity and once (and I swear this is true and not a heat-induced fantasy), I got to the little beach at the end and there was a photoshoot of naked women and they were VERY beautiful naked women! It involves a steep drop down a shelf at the bottom of which is nothing but the beach so it would have looked obvious want my destination was so I had to enjoy the view on my much-needed 'rest'.

There's a steep climb en-route to the Formentor lighthouse which is a marvellous ride although a bit on the short side for me. I was politely prevented from descending that on my last ride there because the then fledgling Bradley Wiggins cycling team were shooting a commercial where only their riders could be seen.

Yes......we also love it and stay 'towards' that end. The Pinewalk is nice.
Me and MrsD had a good fortnight there, then a mate and I had a weeks cycling there.
We had booked again for this year but Mr Covid decided to show up :sad:.
I never saw those naked ladies though :wacko:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yes......we also love it and stay 'towards' that end. The Pinewalk is nice.
Me and MrsD had a good fortnight there, then a mate and I had a weeks cycling there.
We had booked again for this year but Mr Covid decided to show up :sad:.
I never saw those naked ladies though :wacko:
That's where we stay, the Pinwales.

One year though, I was collecting a bike on day 2 so I ran along the Boquer valley on our first day and if you know it, you'll know just how rocky it is. I tripped on a protuberance and went down heavily ripping open the heels on both hands. Braking on the bike was excruciating for a few days after that so I had to limit myself to rides to and fro Alcudia on the flat coastal road!

Another time, we had a works meeting and on my recommendation, we stayed at a sports hotel midway between Pollenca and Alcudia. One night, we chose to walk back to the hotel from a restaurant in Pollenca when a motorbike crashed into our group. There were some cuts and bruises but the worst affected spent some time in hospital and had to be airlifted back to the UK. The thing is though, I had to keep my mouth shut because I witnessed the fact that this motorbike went nowhere near my colleague but he was so inebriated, he fell down that ditch running alongside the road and twisted his spine! He got a good payout from that as well.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

Went there a few years back, a very nice place to be based. Nothing like Alcudia et al.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
That's where we stay, the Pinwales.

One year though, I was collecting a bike on day 2 so I ran along the Boquer valley on our first day and if you know it, you'll know just how rocky it is. I tripped on a protuberance and went down heavily ripping open the heels on both hands. Braking on the bike was excruciating for a few days after that so I had to limit myself to rides to and fro Alcudia on the flat coastal road!

Another time, we had a works meeting and on my recommendation, we stayed at a sports hotel midway between Pollenca and Alcudia. One night, we chose to walk back to the hotel from a restaurant in Pollenca when a motorbike crashed into our group. There were some cuts and bruises but the worst affected spent some time in hospital and had to be airlifted back to the UK. The thing is though, I had to keep my mouth shut because I witnessed the fact that this motorbike went nowhere near my colleague but he was so inebriated, he fell down that ditch running alongside the road and twisted his spine! He got a good payout from that as well.
I know the Sports hotel.
Dont recognise Pinwales.

Top Bottom