Portugal holiday makers.... OOPS .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am at a loss to understand how holiday makers have rushed home when para cyclists have an event beginning in Portugal tomorrow for five days.How does that work.
Bit of a guess but eg a family of 4 with a fixed 1 week break from work/school.....they have to calculate what they can potentially lose if they must isolate Vs cost of an early Easyjet flight home.
The cyclists, on the other hand, may calculate what they stand to gain if they stay Vs self isolation.
Like you I tried to work out "WHY".

vickster

Legendary Member
I am at a loss to understand how holiday makers have rushed home when para cyclists have an event beginning in Portugal tomorrow for five days.How does that work.
The travel rules have always been different for elite athletes taking part in competition

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Wasn't the message "essential travel only" and "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"? God knows, the government have shown plenty of ineptitude over the past year but I don't think you can really blame them this time.

The problem is that the rules / regulations were quite clear and any travel to any country is allowed with certain test and quarantine conditions depending on if the country was consider green, amber or red.

Then ministers waded in with “Well we didn’t mean that“ and trying to twist things which weren’t ambiguous at all…till they waded in.

Reminds me of Little Britain with “Yes, but no, maybe, no, yes..” type responses. Plus of course we have the sketch with “The computer says no”

Dwn

I suppose like most of us, I’d love to go on a foreign holiday this summer, and totally understand why people took the risk of going to Portugal. It’s easy to say that they knew the risks and shouldn’t moan about it - and that is largely true. I’m sure in their rational moments, the people who complained understand that they took a risk that didn’t pay off and it’s their personal responsibility.

However, the news journalists probably caught them at their worst moments - unless you’re lucky enough to be going business or first, airline travel is often a frustrating and unpleasant business at the best of times; much worse right now. So, people being interviewed were probably just venting.

I do think that government travel advice has been confusing and open to interpretation. It might have been unpopular, but perhaps better to have bitten the bullet and banned all non-essential travel. Certainty has its virtues.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I suppose like most of us, I’d love to go on a foreign holiday this summer.....
What, like Michael Gove taking his son on a crowded plane to a stadium where thousands of people would be bellowingfor 90 minutes? In other words: take an unvaccinated person somewhere almost guaranteed to expose them to an aerosol of virus particles.

I'm not fan of MG, but I hope he and his son won't regret that trip.

You'd think he'd have learned to be more careful after contracting Swine flu in the last pandemic.

mustang1

Guru
Whilst I have no intention of booking anything this year, I do have some sympathy with those that did. The vaccine rollout has been going well and rates were pretty low in both countries. In addition, the government has not exactly been clear with travel advice and plans especially when people started booking holidays a while ago. It would have been simpler and safer to just ban non-essential foreign travel for everyone.
I didnt look much into the news but wasn't that govt thing a traffic light system:
red - stay away
yellow - stay away if you can, risky if you book a holiday though
green - yeah go for it

Judging by the way some car drivers are, they probably think
red - go ahead
yellow - go mellow
green - your speed shouldn't be mean

Top Bottom