Position and frame size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
I'm struggling on longer rides with pain in my neck/upper back. It seems to be related to holding my head up to look ahead, eg bending my neck back. I'm 6'2" tall and currently have large/X large frames. I've had a bike fit but the problem is still there.

Looking at old v new frames the more modern frames seem to have a bigger drop between seat and bars than older bikes, so I was wondering if getting an older frame, say 60-63cm might help. My thought was that with a bigger frame, I could have a more upright position and lessen the bend in my neck.

Does that sound like a plan or am I barking up the wrong tree?

lazyfatgit

You could try a slightly shorter stem or a bigger angle to l itft the bars a bit?

Problem with getting a bigger frame is the reach gets longer too, so you might need to shorten a stem.

This is what i did with my last road bike. The 57 was to aggressive so i got the 60 and the shop fitted a 100mm stem in place of the original.

The current bike is more endurance geometry and I'm riding a 58 with no alterations. (I'm 6"2)

Bike fit is all very well but maybe if you've got problems you need to be riding something more upright?

wonderloaf

Veteran
When I had this problem I fitted a shorter riser stem like this one which allowed me to sit more upright:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-comp-4-axis-30d-stem/

Didn't look very cool but did the job ^_^

That was a couple of seasons ago, what I've found is that over time my body has gradually adapted to the 'hunched over' position and I've gradually worked my way back to the 100mm stems that were originally fitted to my bikes. So now I look like every other MAMIL on the road! :becool:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You don't say how you ride, mostly on the drops, on the hoods or on the bar tops? If the former then of course you're going to be lifting your head. I'm the same height as you but spend most of my time on the hoods or tops of the bars as I find that the most comfortable position. Maybe you just need to vary your position a bit more.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How about the position of the brake levers where you rest your hands on the hoods? I like mine to be angled upwards by about 10 degrees in line with the top of the bar so that I've got a continuous platform for the hands. Some people have them a long way down the bars meaning they have to reach forward a long way.

Why don't you post pictures of the bike taken from the side and then taken with you seated? There are a lot of experienced riders on here who can give you the benefit of their knowledge.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm 6'5" & have had similar issues in the past, bad shoulder pain on longer rides, or riding into headwinds a lot. Had a bike fit at beginning of year & not had any issues since, ended up with a higher saddle position & a slightly more angled stem to raise the bars.
Be careful of fitting a shorter stem as this can affect the handling, my winter bike has a cinelli pista track stem, iirc about 80mm & whilst it has helped with shoulder pain it's made the bike a bit more twitchy. I put up with it as it's better than being stretched, but it isn't as nice a ride as my other bikes.

Re frame sizes, I have 2 bikes that are both '60cm' my Van Nic & my new Enigma, but the Enigma is a larger frame?? Manufacturers seem to measure frames from different points, so you can't always say a 60cm is the right size :blush: My winter bike is a Kinesis Racelight & a 62cm frame, great height wise, but a bit long for me, hence the shorter stem

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
You could try a slightly shorter stem or a bigger angle to l itft the bars a bit?

Problem with getting a bigger frame is the reach gets longer too, so you might need to shorten a stem.

This is what i did with my last road bike. The 57 was to aggressive so i got the 60 and the shop fitted a 100mm stem in place of the original.

The current bike is more endurance geometry and I'm riding a 58 with no alterations. (I'm 6"2)

Bike fit is all very well but maybe if you've got problems you need to be riding something more upright?

You might be right. I was also cosidering trying those butterfly bars and see if that made any difference.

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
You don't say how you ride, mostly on the drops, on the hoods or on the bar tops? If the former then of course you're going to be lifting your head. I'm the same height as you but spend most of my time on the hoods or tops of the bars as I find that the most comfortable position. Maybe you just need to vary your position a bit more.
Hoods and bar tops mostly, hardly ever the drops. I do have some degratdtion of the spine so guess that isnt helping me.

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Thanks for all the replies, some good food for thought there.
Think I'll look at the stem and the lever position as a quick and eash try, but think part of me was secretly hoping you would all be telling me to get a new bike! Quite fancy getting a big frame, maybe an older one, and building it up.

mikeymustard

Veteran
....Quite fancy getting a big frame, maybe an older one, and building it up.
bigger vintage steel frames tend to go a bit cheaper than "normal" sizes. I'm quite fond of retro/modern frankenbike mixes, with an old steel frame and modern gearing they can be bery useful and satisfying machines

mgs315

Whilst I guess I’m not much help on the subject, from my own experience I’m able to cope with about an extra inch seat-to-bar drop on my TCR over my Triban commuter as the reach is about an 1 1/2 inch less overall. I find both comfy enough but can’t get on with the drops on the Triban as it just feels that little bit too stretched and gives me upper shoulder pain if I’m on them too long.

I can ride the Giant all day long in the drops in comparison, even though the stem is slammed. Both have compact bars.

Whilst you’ve said you’ve had bike fits, maybe reconsider asking about what a fitter could do to alleviate the problem. If you’ve had a recent fit you should find they’ll re-fit you FOC.

GuyBoden

Guru
item_290934.jpg

Top Bottom