Position in advance stop line?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
If I was on that route and going right then I'd position myself in the middle of the left lane, same if I was going straight ahead (even though it's a T-junction).
I'm not. I'm going straight on.

Ningishzidda

Then plonk yourself at the very front of the ASL in left of centre where no-one can possibly get past you before you have got half way across the junction. Watch the opposing lights. When they change to Amber, make forward motions.
If other cyclists persist in trying to turn right from your left, use your shoulder.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I think if I was in the middle cars could squeeze past me on either side. In primary in the left hand lane cars can pass in the right lane but would have to hang back in the left lane.

400bhp

Guru
How do you know they have seen you? They could be traffic light watching and may not even look in front of them.
Best to go behind a vehicle which is a few from the front. Why? I hear you ask.
Drivers mentally have this thing where they just need to be on open road, if they look ahead of you and see an open road, they will try to overtake to get to it.
However if you have a vehicle in front of you and you are keeping up, then the driver behind is much less likely to try and overtake you as there isn't an open road in front of you and they don't get the same impulse.

The only time I filter to get to the ASL is if I think it will be considerably faster than if I don't. This usually means I go to every ASL in London, as the other cyclists are usually much slower off the line and hold the cars up, which would in turn hold me up. However being at the front means I can power away.

Sage advice from Gaz and it's something I've learned to do better.

It does work.

Leaway2

Lycrist
How do you know they have seen you? They could be traffic light watching and may not even look in front of them.
Best to go behind a vehicle which is a few from the front. Why? I hear you ask.
Drivers mentally have this thing where they just need to be on open road, if they look ahead of you and see an open road, they will try to overtake to get to it.
However if you have a vehicle in front of you and you are keeping up, then the driver behind is much less likely to try and overtake you as there isn't an open road in front of you and they don't get the same impulse.

The only time I filter to get to the ASL is if I think it will be considerably faster than if I don't. This usually means I go to every ASL in London, as the other cyclists are usually much slower off the line and hold the cars up, which would in turn hold me up. However being at the front means I can power away.
Good point, but I will continue to do this. You can not account for every mistake others may make and my yellow coat in front of them + flashing lights in the dark, it would be very hard not to see me.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I don't. I position myself in primary in what would be the left hand lane if the ASL was divided into lanes.
Aaah sorry, miss-read what you said at the start.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Hmmmm, looking at the map, I would take primary in the left lane. Then continue straight over the junction (I expect you want to join the shared use alley way by the lights?). If you take primary, then it allows people to turn left as well as stopping people from undertaking you (if you hold your position and ride past the traffic island in the middle of the road).

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Are we talking about the T junction with the cyclepath that is kind of straight infront? If so I think part of the problem is that the cyclepath wont be seen as part of the junction, to drivers and possibly other cyclists, its still a T junction but with a turn off, not a crossroads. So you're effectively turning right in the left hand lane, which the arrows on the road say is fine(?) and then halfway across the junction you're turning off left up the cycle path, which would also be fine but cyclists probably aren't recognising why you're in the centre of the lane and presume that you're going to go all the way around the turn.

I cant really offer much advice, other than wondering if you're signalling at all, I'd probably signal left as soon as id crossed the left turning, but I don't think you can really get from primary to turn off left while people are insisting on undertaking you.

The cycle facility taking cyclists in and out of the traffic flow confuses things, it looks like if you were coming in the opposite direction the cyclepath would send you across the middle of the junction? :O

Ningishzidda

Yes

Yes, I'm very slow. Don't see how this mitigates other cyclists positioning themselves left and the turning right into me.

They notice you accelerated slow, so out-dragged you and swept across in front of you.
Sounds like you'll just have to put up with this until you position yourself on the left closer to the curb.

GrasB

Veteran
They notice you accelerated slow, so out-dragged you and swept across in front of you.
Sounds like you'll just have to put up with this until you position yourself on the left closer to the curb.
I would STRONGLY recommend she does not hold to the left. The reason being is that if she keeps to the left of the lane she's then got the problem of motorists left hooking her as she's trying to go straight on. A far more dangerous proposition to get hit by a car than another cyclist.

Top Bottom