position of chain & rear derailleur when in the small gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Better ^^^ than the image in the OP, noting "bike easily shifts into all combinations on the workstand".
The first item to replace is the small chainring. If you fit a new chain then, if you're getting chain suck occasionally now, you will swiftly become the world's expert with a worn ring / new chain combo. Refer to the image in my post #14.
The ziptie bodge is a mitigation not a solution.

first item to replace is the small chainring
I intend to, but I'll have to drop it off at a shop for that

I'm not sure what this chain suck is. If someone want's to help me understand it I'd be grateful.
when the chain is in the small chainring, and the chain doesn't release as it should, it clings to the small chain ring, getting sucked up in between the chainring & the chainstay. for me, it happens when the chain gets dirty, usually under load, like an out of the saddle climb

Better ^^^ than the image in the OP, noting "bike easily shifts into all combinations on the workstand".
The first item to replace is the small chainring. If you fit a new chain then, if you're getting chain suck occasionally now, you will swiftly become the world's expert with a worn ring / new chain combo. Refer to the image in my post #14.
The ziptie bodge is a mitigation not a solution.
howdy, took the MTB out on a route that would normally produce the chain suck. featuring mud & a particular steep climb out of the saddle; no chain suck. I think the chain was monstrously filthy & my previous attempts to clean it were pathetically ineffective at best. finally did a proper job, off the bike, twice. maybe taking 2 links out helped too? regardless I ran the "trouble route" 3 times late yesterday w/ no chain suck. your thoughts?

Gunk

Guru
And get rid of the wheel reflectors ^_^

Every bike I buy, they’re the first to go in the bin!

Top Bottom