position of lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bubbles3

I got a pair of fibre flare lights for christmas ^_^. I put one on the back left hand side of the bike and one on the front left hand side of the bike. my theory being if someone is pulling out from a road end on my side they would def see me. Both lights are red and i've been told i shouldn't have a red light on the front. ( i already have an exposure maxx d light on the front and a red tail light on the back)

Should i have them both on the back?

need advice.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes both on the back.
I think you can know buy different colour fibre flares.

On another note if you are going to be using them in wet weather makes sure you use grease or vaseline round the seals or rain will quickly kill them.

Do you wear a helmet!

If so it is very easy to mount a Fibre Flare to the back of the helmet giving a drivers eye level light

Crankarm

Guru
I got a pair of fibre flare lights for christmas ^_^. I put one on the back left hand side of the bike and one on the front left hand side of the bike. my theory being if someone is pulling out from a road end on my side they would def see me. Both lights are red and i've been told i shouldn't have a red light on the front. ( i already have an exposure maxx d light on the front and a red tail light on the back)

Should i have them both on the back?

need advice.

Errrr .......... you have an Exposure Max D light 1600 lumens one of the brightest front lights available and you also have a red light on your bike's handlebars facing forward! Sorry but are you for real or are you trolling? Who told you that you shouldn't have a red light facing front? Who ever it was I would listen to them. How many other road users do you see with front facing red lights? That's right zero,unless you ride in Cambridge. I thought it was 1st January not 1st April.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Not in Cambridge. Local exemption from this law applies as I see so many cyclists with red lights facing front, those that have lights that is.

I'm not able to locate any record of this in Cambridge bylaws, I would be interested in learning the reasoning behind this, are you able to provide a link documenting this local exemption?
All I can find is documentation on local bylaws and its not documented here.
http://www.cambridge.ca/bylaws.php

The CTC seem to have some good information on general lighting regulations which my be of use for the OP
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Errrr .......... you have an Exposure Max D light 1600 lumens one of the brightest front lights available and you also have a red light on your bike's handlebars facing forward! Sorry but are you for real or are you trolling? Who told you that you shouldn't have a red light facing front? Who ever it was I would listen to them. How many other road users do you see with front facing red lights? That's right zero,unless you ride in Cambridge. I thought it was 1st January not 1st April.

:surrender:

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

both fibre flare lights are firmly attached to the BACK of the bike now. Still need to get some grease to try and block out any rain. was bit worried vaseline might destroy the rubber.

wisdom

Guru
Silicone grease is good.i use it on my cateyes and have never had a problem with water ingress(4 yrs daily commuting in all weathers).

Crankarm

Guru
both fibre flare lights are firmly attached to the BACK of the bike now. Still need to get some grease to try and block out any rain. was bit worried vaseline might destroy the rubber.

I wouldn't use grease or any sealant on your Max D light. They are totally weather proof, well made lights. To do so may well invaidate your Exposure warranty which is 2 years, life time against LED failure. The mount is a bit crap though, the Achilles heel if you like. Keep the sprung loaded pin well lubricated. Make sure the light is clicked in properly otherwise it could well fall which is what happened to mine, several times, resulting in a dead light :sad:.

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

i have some copper grease, would that do the same job? in helping to seal the fibre flare lights.

Top Bottom