Positioning of levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

This will probably open a can of worms but, are there any rules of where the levers should be on a compact bar?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Generally the sweep of the bar should be in line with the hoods so you have a comfortable grip. Excuse the bars not being on straight - this is after my accident.

These are compact Ritchey Logic bars and you can see the straight line from the bars along the hoods.

A Fosbrook Cycle Handlebars.jpg

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Generally the sweep of the bar should be in line with the hoods so you have a comfortable grip. Excuse the bars not being on straight - this is after my accident.

These are compact Ritchey Logic bars and you can see the straight line from the bars along the hoods.

View attachment 119993
Cool thanks, I will take a pic and upload. Rather get this correct before I fit new tape tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

pictures are not going to help , you need to position them so that you can safely use them and be comfortable for you as an individual
That makes sense, I was holding out for someone to say that looks odd! I had better wait until the cables are fixed before going for a test run.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That makes sense, I was holding out for someone to say that looks odd! I had better wait until the cables are fixed before going for a test run.

That looks odd!

But being serious, whatever works for you, for me I would move them down ever so slightly. Tat could be horribly wrong for you. What did they look like on the old bars?

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Old bars

Attachments

• DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

[QUOTE 4171479, member: 45"]There is no correct position.

I find that if you have them low enough that you can comfortably get on the levers when on the drops, then the hoods are to horizontal. Have the hoods up enough that your hand lean into them and the levers aren't easy to get to on the drops.

Seeing as I spend most of my time on the hoods, they're up.

Remember as well that there are two considerations -the angle the bars are set at, and where on the curve of the drops you fix the levers.[/QUOTE]
With the old setup I felt like my hands were going to go over the hoods, as if they were too far past the curve.

Top Bottom