Positive response from Birmingham City Council

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mumbo jumbo

On Saturday morning this happened:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLJn5RjqPHw

On Monday, I emailed the vid into the BCC refuse collection email address and copied my email to the Councillor with cabinet responsibility for "Green, Safe and Smart City". He replied immediately promising an investigation. By close on Tuesday I had an email explaining that the driver had been trained by BCC back in 2001, had had no refresher training or assessment since and has been booked in for assessment on 31 July and saying that they would use my video as a prime example of how a BCC vehicle should not be driven. I am frankly amazed and delighted at the speed and positive nature of the response - particularly as this is the first time I have complained to an organisation about dangerous driving (I'm not so naive to expect that it will always be like this!). I have suggested that we collaborate on a safety video for all their drivers - a bit like the Lothian buses one. Not heard back on that yet.

mj

Nice one MJ - real positive result.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
At least he was giving cyclists plenty of room, if not paying the slightest bit of attention to stuff coming the other way.

OP
OP
mumbo jumbo

mumbo jumbo

At least he was giving cyclists plenty of room, if not paying the slightest bit of attention to stuff coming the other way.
Spose - initially maybe. But he had to cut back in to avoid the motorcyclist causing me to brake and take evasive action. Anyway, no harm done (thank goodness) and it looks like some good may come from it.

alicat

Legendary Member
I realise the truck driver's behaviour got your blood up but 0.40 of the video shows you failing to give way to a pedestrian at a zebra crossing. That pedestrian may have a less charitable view of cyclists as a result.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Good result. However, contrast it with this response from Trafford Council about the included overtake:

7655229892_2cd1af86d4_z.jpg

No apology (although they're sorry that I complained), no mention of the danger posed to me, no mention of any action taken against the driver.

I haven't yet decided what to do about this.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

I realise the truck driver's behaviour got your blood up but 0.40 of the video shows you failing to give way to a pedestrian at a zebra crossing. That pedestrian may have a less charitable view of cyclists as a result.

But the pedestrian was not stood waiting at the crossing and road users were therefore not obliged to give way to him.

tongskie01

Good result. However, contrast it with this response from Trafford Council about the included overtake:

7655229892_2cd1af86d4_z.jpg

No apology (although they're sorry that I complained), no mention of the danger posed to me, no mention of any action taken against the driver.

I haven't yet decided what to do about this.

for self preservation in my experience, i would put the break on when the vehicle is just starting to overtake especially traffic is approaching the other way.

OP
OP
mumbo jumbo

mumbo jumbo

50:50 I think. I was aware he was approaching the crossing and allowed extra space in case he walked out without looking (which he didn't).

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I thought it was predicated on them having a foot on the crossing?
  • look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
  • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing

Hawk

Veteran
I would lodge an appeal on the hope that someone with half a brain might realise that the examiner and driver probably thought they gave good room (fine at the start of the overtake really) before cutting in, which apparently neither of them were aware of.

Unbelievable

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
+1
When I read the response I thought "sounds like the examiner isn't up to standard". I'd like to think they were, It's an automatic assumption?
But then thought "How many times have you had close passes or been cut up by a driving school car with one occupant?..."
I've had a few, maybe there's 2 in need of retraining.

Graham

I've never understood this ' driver training' response. It's a load of cuddly drivel. These drivers of trucks, buses etc have been driving for years, they know exactly how big / long / wide their vehicles are and they are well capable of driver 'round' a cyclist rather that 'through' them. The fact is that they can't be bothered or are in too much of a hurry or have a sadistic streak in them. What they need is a short sharp shock e.g. a fine or points on their licence. However, if someone says they are to have training, it keeps HR department happy so that they don't have to lay down the law with these drivers and can tick the box that they did their job. If the examiner can't see what went wrong in the Trafford clip, then we are all in trouble and his job is pointless. Rant over.

PK99

Legendary Member
No. If it is clear that they are intending to cross then you should stop. The idea that pedestrians have to have one foot on the crossing is an urban myth predicated by selfish motorists.

As it is, the 'crossing' itself includes part of the pavement either side of the road, normally that area delimited by the dropped kerb and/or special surfacing. The black and white stripes are only part of the crossing.

The highway code is explicit on this point and disagrees with you

HWC 19> Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

Nowhere in the HWC is the crossing defined to include the pavement markings

Top Bottom