Possible Overtraining?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mm87

Hi, I joined this forum recently because I wanted some advice really on the fatigue/reduced endurance I've been having for a while now. Sorry if this is a little long-winded but I'll try to give as much information as possible because I'm a little lost on what to do next?

I'm a male in my late twenties, I started cycling February this year, wanted to get fit and lose weight (now at my ideal weight), started on a MTB doing 5 mile rides 3 times a week, then as time went on I was managing 18 mile rides 6 days a week on a hybrid (one rest day a week), then in the summer I bought a road bike and all through Spring/Summer I was doing 30-45 mile rides aday/6 days a week, I had heaps of energy and with my enthusiasm I would on occasion ride in the evenings as well, longest ride was 75 miles, I was loving it getting fitter and losing weight, enjoying cycling! Then around late September/October I was noticing I was needing more time to recover from my rides, I would ride 2-3 days in a row and I would need to take a rest day (could ride 6 days a week before like I say), with that i was noticing alot more fatigue after my rides/doing other daily activities like walking the dog.

It was October/November/This month things got worse, I could only do one 45 mile ride before needing to have a rest day (would top up glycogen levels every hour with a gel/snack during ride, drink plenty of water), if I'd gone out the next day I would notice a big drop off in power and endurance, I was also noticing trouble sleeping/unrefreshing sleep, low mood, irritable after rides, too tired to move off the sofa for the rest of the day, feeling pretty terrible overall. I read about Overreaching/Overtraining and had alot of the symptoms, I finally decided I needed a longer rest so for the past 2 weeks I hesitantly stayed off the bike and ate alot of food, plenty of water etc.

I was expecting my energy levels/motivation to return pretty quickly but unfortunately even after 2 weeks resting my energy levels were still alot lower, still had sleep issues, feeling pretty weak/zombified. Today it was fine weather and i was fed up and bored of not riding so i decided to go for the first ride in what seems like forever, I managed a 30 mile ride and to my surprise I have lost very little fitness and the ride felt good once I got warmed up. But hours later/this evening I'm back to feeling exhausted again?...feeling pretty run down, certainly not like I've had a 2 week break! :sad:

I'm now pretty concerned this is more than Overreaching, I've read about overtrained individuals needing months away before getting their "mojo" back....

Does anyone have any experience with Overtraining and not feeling much improvement after 2 weeks off? My main priority now is sorting this fatigue issue out before Spring, Im worried this could ruin next years cycling.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
If you are suffering from overtraining then two weeks is not enough time to fully recover. As you stated it can take months of rest before you are back to normal.

Tin Pot

Guru
Did you monitor you effort levels with an HRM or power meter?

Distance/frequency isn't much to go on to be honest.

Could be over training, could be an underlying illness, could be lots of things.

vickster

Legendary Member
How old are you? What's the cycling terrain like? How fast are you going? What is your diet like? How much sleep do you get? What job do you do?

Are there other stresses in your life? Do you do any other exercise? Walking, swimming, gym etc?

It could just be the change in weather, lack of daylight, a virus lingering, anything really

OP
OP
M

Mm87

I'm 28 years old, I ride a 15 mile loop (2-3 laps per ride), the first half of the lap is mainly flat (can maintain 18+ mph with effort) then the second half is quite hilly, over 1000ft climbing (bringing my average speed down to 15-16 mph), I do tend to "just ride" with 75% effort most of the time, no real program (probably why I'm in this mess now), I tend to ride on consecutive days until fatigue kicks in and I need a day off, but that's now after every ride. I also walk my dog an hour aday, no other exercise.

I don't have a power meter or HRM so I couldn't measure that unfortunately.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, hie thee to thy medics, just in case. Probably nothing serious and it sounds like you might have got distance-v-nutrition out of balance but they can do more checks than we can.

Tin Pot

Guru
I started all this exercise two and a half years ago and then waned dramatically, went down to only four hours exercise on avg a week, rarely getting on the bike.

Could just be season and enthusiasm. Doing the same loops gets tedious. I started using destinations to motivate me. A long ride to work occasionally. An event. Run home from work. That sort of thing.

I'm more into having company now too. Having a friend wanting to get out gets me out the door, otherwise I'd just stay in bed. Try a bike club?

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Thanks for all your advice, think it's time for a doctors visit just in case! :smile:

OP
OP
M

Mm87

I started all this exercise two and a half years ago and then waned dramatically, went down to only four hours exercise on avg a week, rarely getting on the bike.

Could just be season and enthusiasm. Doing the same loops gets tedious. I started using destinations to motivate me. A long ride to work occasionally. An event. Run home from work. That sort of thing.

I'm more into having company now too. Having a friend wanting to get out gets me out the door, otherwise I'd just stay in bed. Try a bike club?

Yeah good idea with trying different routes, it can tedious sometimes, but I'm pretty sure its a physical issue because I'd quite happily do the same thing day after day knowing I'm improving my fitness (thinking of joining a club next year) and burning calories, its just the fatigue holding me back, the motivation is there, just unable physically to maintain it anymore?..

montage

God Almighty
starting in February and then doing 2-3 hours a day 6 days a week throughout the summer means you probably did overtrain. Possibly a virus, but the solution to the problem is the same (regarding you cycling anyway). Do as much as you can whilst still keeping it enjoyable. If this means going out for just 30 minutes twice a week then so be it. Accept you will have a little weight gain and lose some fitness, and that those two things happen to pretty much anybody during December

First ride back after a break never feels good anyway so ease into it.

When you get back into full flow, make sure you have an easier week once a month

There are several ways of looking at this issue.
Medical physical problem, meaning problems on your heart, kidney, liver etc. You are not loosing weight rapidly, not breathless etc. Therefore it is unlikely. But it is important for a doctor to undertake a full clinical examination. But my guess is that you are OK.
Then there are conditions associated with fatigue and sometimes the symptoms you describe such as lack of sleep and irritability etc. But that is after excluding other medical problems.
Is it over training and just under the weather.
You have done quite lot of riding. Riding every day 50 miles should not be taken lightly.
Here is my suggestion
You have now lost weight and achieved a readoble weight.
Now you need to ride to just enjoy cycling. Keeping fit is secondary benefit.
Rode less frequent but regular at diable distances.
Take it easy and learn to enjoy cycling.

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Thanks again for all your advice, I am not ruling out any unrelated medical issues etc, I will try to investigate further with a check up with my GP. If it is Overtraining I will have to stay off the bike until recovered (for God knows how long), I'm no good with moderation generally, I find it takes a good hour just to get warmed up properly, I'm not disciplined enough to cut a ride short.

I've also got used to eating alot more and maintaining weight with cycling, shockingly gained 7 pounds during the 2 week break! (Yes i was eating alot! Though some of it may be water weight), so I see myself gaining alot of weight again if im off the bike because I'm crap at diets! :smile:

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Yep, pretty much confirms my suspicions of Overtraining, went out today for a second 30 mile ride (to rule out first ride struggles yesterday) and I completed my normal 2 hour ride in 2.5 hours, 30 minutes longer than usual! :sad: Just felt weak and slow on the bike.

Message understood loud and clear now, not planning on riding again until at the very least March!

Top Bottom