Possible Overtraining?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mm87

Just ride less often, less far and less fast

Yeah maybe, but I read recovery from this means practically no exercise (at the most walking) until the energy comes back, where I live there are lots of hills so I can't help but get the heart rate up whatever the speed.

I think having January/February off wouldn't be the worst thing, what I dread the most is the glorious spring weather coming and I have to spend most of the season off the bike!....better now than spring and summer.

Yep, pretty much
Yep, pretty much confirms my suspicions of Overtraining, went out today for a second 30 mile ride (to rule out first ride struggles yesterday) and I completed my normal 2 hour ride in 2.5 hours, 30 minutes longer than usual! :sad: Just felt weak and slow on the bike.

Message understood loud and clear now, not planning on riding again until at the very least March!

I just want to make it clear that it is not at least what suggested. But you are free to take whatever the way you feel it.
What you are going to do is typical "boom and bust" cycles of physical activities that some people in your situation do.
Instead what I suggest is do regular manageable short rides with short periods of rest.
Perhaps you can ride 30 miles every weekend. Or you can do 10 to 20 miles every other day.
Do it at a pace that you feel comfortable. If I were you, I wont use a timer or monitor speed.
Then eat regular healthy meals and not a specific diet.

I must say that I am very old fashioned when it come to these matters.

vickster

Legendary Member
Complete rest is ok if you are injured, but not for simple fatigue

Get a proper sports massage, see if that helps

midlife

Guru
I'm sure I read an article about over training in one of last years cycling plus, not an academic / scientific journal but giving up for a couple of months wasn't on the menu iirc.

Shaun

OP
OP
M

Mm87

I tried including "recovery rides" into my training, as in only riding a short distance and at very easy pace just spinning in a low gear but tbh a found it very tedious and frustrating! Lol, I do tend to use my rides as stress relief, I love getting a proper workout session in.

But saying that after a few weeks off the bike just getting short easy rides in would be better than nothing...

I'm just going by 2 weeks off not doing me any good, obviously needed longer?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
True, need to learn how to back off the intensity and go for leisurely rides! :smile:
Are you near @robgul ? I think his local group rides fast IMO but slower than you describe :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
I swim hard 5 miles a week and cycle 2 or 3 times normally 30 miles a time at 17mph. I do not eat gels or carbo load, I do not find a need to.

I would suggest get a health check, cut back on the effort and join a club.

I am slightly older at 59 and 278 days.

I swim hard 5 miles a week and cycle 2 or 3 times normally 30 miles a time at 17mph. I do not eat gels or carbo load, I do not find a need to.

I would suggest get a health check, cut back on the effort and join a club.

I am slightly older at 59 and 278 days.

Now you see the difference. I assume
You do not train.
You are not on a regime.
You have not set goals.
You do not count your calories
You do not monitor heart rate etc etc etc

midlife

Guru
Wrong on all them.

I think what midliferider means is that the OP is not "training" just knackering himself. Difficult for me to comment as BITD we often counted miles as training but at least we did some sort of fartlek as well.

There's always the black book from team swift :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Thanks for all your input, its makes sense to keep rides short and easy for awhile until recovered (months maybe) but I feel like being on the bike at all with this "burned out state" will only delay full recovery, if it is indeed Overtraining where 2 weeks off isn't enough then logic tells me I need a much longer break.

Once recovered I will without doubt change up my routine with more rest days, easier rides etc to avoid making the same mistake again,but until then I've got to recover, I just don't see how riding (albeit slower) will help me considering 2 weeks of complete rest wasn't enough? I need to be patient.

Top Bottom