Possible Overtraining?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Only takes about a day for the body to replenish its glycogen that it will have pulled from the liver etc.

Are you unwell?

Shaun

screenman

Legendary Member
I think what midliferider means is that the OP is not "training" just knackering himself. Difficult for me to comment as BITD we often counted miles as training but at least we did some sort of fartlek as well.
There's always the black book from team swift :smile:

Shaun

I followed the red book by the same author 17 years ago, made a big difference. When training hard I always feel slightly depleted until I get used to the increase or taper down.

I have never heard of anyone needing months off because of over training.

midlife

Guru
I followed the red book by the same author 17 years ago, made a big difference. When training hard I always feel slightly depleted until I get used to the increase or taper down.

I have never heard of anyone needing months off because of over training.

Never knew he did a red book, every day is a school day as they say. :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Why do you think you are burned out, cos you and your legs are a bit tired? :wacko:

Tiredness and malaise on and off the bike really, decreased performance (lack of power and endurance), increased perceived effort on rides, 30 mile rides used to be easy and it would take 40+ miles to tire me out, now I wouldn't be able to even cycle 45 miles and really struggle to ride 30 miles (took me 30 minutes longer yesterday). Used to feel an energetic buzz after a ride now come back feeling pretty rubbish. Sleep is now regularly disturbed (waking multiple times in the night), low moods, anxiety, irritability, lack of concentration, anhedonia etc.

I used to feel really strong on the bike after a rest day or if necessary a week break, first ride back from the 2 week break I felt as if I hadn't even had a rest!

I read there are 3 stages of Overtraining, stage 1 which is resolved after a week off, stage 2 requiring 2-4 weeks, and then stage 3 taking anywhere between 6 weeks - 3 months, just depending on how long you've been Overtraining, I first noticed symptoms in September and stupidly keep cycling with the same intensity, so 3 to 4 months of increasing fatigue really.

This is not overtraining.
You need to see your GP, depending on his/ her experience, he/ she will undertake relevant tests and perhaps refer you to a Rheumatology depending on local policy.
But the advice from them will be largely the same as we provided you here.

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Are there other stresses in your life? Stress would also explain your symptoms

Really? Tbh I have been through quite alot of stress the past few years now but initially cycling helped massively (was feeling great most of the year) before this fatigue come on.

OP
OP
M

Mm87

This is not overtraining.
You need to see your GP, depending on his/ her experience, he/ she will undertake relevant tests and perhaps refer you to a Rheumatology depending on local policy.
But the advice from them will be largely the same as we provided you here.

Thanks for your advice, I will make an appointment to see a DR in the new year.

OP
OP
M

Mm87

What are you training for ?

I think using the term "Overtraining" is the wrong word for me since I'm not training for anything really (just enjoyment, weight control and fitness purposes), so in my case it's more Overexercising or Underrecovering. :smile:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
If I "listened to my body" I'd never get out of the armchair. It's very difficult, IMO, for us amateur cyclists to overtrain. As others have said, get yourself checked over by someone who knows what they're talking about!

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Went for a quick ride on Xmas day in the rain (horrid) and returning i felt a low grade fever (swollen glands, fatigue), both Saturday and Sunday feeling the same, then woke up today with full blown Flu! (Never usually get more than a cold), running a fever, muscle aches and pains, sore throat, unable to leave my bed with zero energy, dizziness (low blood pressure feeling) and awful nausea! ....never felt anything like it! :sad:

Hoping this has been stirring up for awhile and the reason I'd been feeling like crap for awhile! (Rather than burn out) Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Top Bottom