Possible Overtraining?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mm87

Well, I will suggest something: it is possible that your diet is to blame, would you like to show a sample daily meal plan? You are showing some of the symptoms of diabetes did your doctor check this when you had the blood test?

I must admit my diet isn't the best, but it isn't terrible either, occasionally eat fruit, veg, fish, rice, potatoes, chicken etc but I do eat alot of takeaways and so on....gave up smoking and drinking years ago.

Unfortunately my dr didn't test for diabetes, had the blood test mid-afternoon unfasted. Though i was tested for it 4 years ago from memory, but I'm aware you can develop type 2 diabetes any time, something to think about.

ayceejay

Guru
Can you show what you eat in a typical days ?

uclown2002

Guru
When someone says their 'diet isn't the best' it is probable their diet is rubbish.

I'm still not buying this overtraining theory.

Something else is at play here.

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Can you show what you eat in a typical days ?

Dose of diet shaming maybe? Hmm ok...

Breakfast- typically either porridge, toast with marmalade, toast with mackerel/sardines (tinned), bacon sarnie, boiled eggs.

Lunch- typically a sandwich (tuna, ham and cheese, salad) but also snack on crap like crisps biscuits etc.

Between meals- snacking on fruit, oranges, apples, bananas etc.

Main meal- typically either potatoes with vegetables (carrots, cabbage, peas, broccoli,), and meat (sausages, chicken, pork, beef etc), spaghetti bolognese, curry with rice (balti, rogan Josh, madras, home made) chilli con carnie with rice, chips with pizza etc.

Then after evening college I have a bad habit of stopping off at the chip shop, Chinese, KFC takeaways 2-3 times a week.

vickster

Legendary Member
Takeaway as well as dinner?

Sounds like you eat quite a lot of bread, lots of processed meat and very little veg

Download myfitnesspal to your phone and start tracking your nutrition and calories

I would have thought that the blood tests would have shown any nutritional deficiencies

How much sleep do you get a night? Do you ever work shifts?
Has this mostly started since the days have got shorter and the weather cooler?

OP
OP
M

Mm87

I'm still not buying this overtraining theory.

Something else is at play here.

Why? When I have most of the Overtraining symptoms? I must say this issue wasn't out of the blue, since around September I noticed a gradual decline in endurance and ability to recover, but I ignored to signs and kept pushing on and the fatigue grew until it's now almost impossible to ride.

Trust me it's the last thing I want to believe knowing I dug myself into such a hole i will need months off to recover. From October with the crappy dark weather I was looking forward to spring, this winter had dragged so much!.....depressingly during a dog walk yesterday I felt the warm sunshine of spring approaching and the dread/frustration that my legs are still tired and sore from my last ride on Wednesday! :sad:

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Takeaway as well as dinner?

Sounds like you eat quite a lot of bread, lots of processed meat and very little veg

Download myfitnesspal to your phone and start tracking your nutrition and calories

I would have thought that the blood tests would have shown any nutritional deficiencies

How much sleep do you get a night? Do you ever work shifts?
Has this mostly started since the days have got shorter and the weather cooler?

Yeah i tend to eat whatever is available, (takeaways would be late at night 10pm after college just because I was passing by lol) i still live at home, if i was to buy food shopping for myself I would eat healthier granted. I sleep fine, 7-8 hours sleep anight, I work part-time during the day, no shifts.

The symptoms started September time, It had surprised me because I was on my third consecutive daily ride and for the first time that year I had noticed a drop in energy, sort of a bonked feeling, normally wouldn't feel the need for a rest until day 6.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive come late to this and tried to read all of the posts but one thing strikes me, no-one has considered the most basic things...the bike. You probably have Mm but do the wheels spin freely, no rubbing. Is you saddle at the right height ?
Ive had both catch me out. A saddle that unkowingly slipped...I couldnt figure why I was suddenly struggling, my thights ached and I just didnt have the same power. It was bloody awful.
Similarly, I once got back from a ride I'd particually struggled with and on cleaning the bike found the rear wheel was rubbing...jeez, no wonder.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah i tend to eat whatever is available, (takeaways would be late at night 10pm after college just because I was passing by lol) i still live at home, if i was to buy food shopping for myself I would eat healthier granted. I sleep fine, 7-8 hours sleep anight, I work part-time during the day, no shifts.

The symptoms started September time, It had surprised me because I was on my third consecutive daily ride and for the first time that year I had noticed a drop in energy, sort of a bonked feeling, normally wouldn't feel the need for a rest until day 6.
Why can't you buy your own food?

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Ive come late to this and tried to read all of the posts but one thing strikes me, no-one has considered the most basic things...the bike. You probably have Mm but do the wheels spin freely, no rubbing. Is you saddle at the right height ?
Ive had both catch me out. A saddle that unkowingly slipped...I couldnt figure why I was suddenly struggling, my thights ached and I just didnt have the same power. It was bloody awful.
Similarly, I once got back from a ride I'd particually struggled with and on cleaning the bike found the rear wheel was rubbing...jeez, no wonder.

If only! The saddle height is correct, with my heal on the pedal my leg is almost completely locked/straight, with the ball of my foot on the pedal there is a slight bend on the knee. Everyday before a ride I would spin both wheels so they would spin for 10+ seconds so no problems with rubbing, this was after a beginner mistake at the start were I had changed my MTB wheels (before road bike) and went out and it had taken me 2.5 hours to ride 16 miles and it nearly killed me! Lol come back home, checked the rear wheel afterwards and the rear brake pads were almosts locked to the rim! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
M

Mm87

Why can't you buy your own food?

I suppose I could do if I really wanted to, but it's easier just to grab whatever is in the fridge/cupboard, freezer than buy seperate food for myself, just the convenience really! :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I suppose I could do if I really wanted to, but it's easier just to grab whatever is in the fridge/cupboard, freezer than buy seperate food for myself, just the convenience really! :smile:
Maybe live with the hassle for a few months and see how it goes. Or go shopping with your mum and ask her to buy you more fruit and veg :smile:

OP
OP
M

Mm87

I would say if you are sleeping well then over training is unlikely.

Yeah the total time asleep is adequate, but the night after a ride I would wake up multiple times in the night, sometimes in a cold sweat, wake up early etc. Time off the bike and my sleep would improve, though I would wake up in the morning like I'd woke up from a coma (weird feeling) and struggle to wake up refreshed (that might be normal though idk).

I also take magnesium supplements (past few years) at night to help me sleep so that helps a little.

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Maybe live with the hassle for a few months and see how it goes. Or go shopping with your mum and ask her to buy you more fruit and veg :smile:

Yeah it's a good idea, might be time for a diet overhaul I think! Start buying more fruit and veg for myself, anything that might help get me back on the bike quicker!

Top Bottom