Possible public humiliation!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So as I've struggled over the last few years to find the motivation to ride again, I've posted this on my social media. Nothing like the thought of public humiliation to spur me into it. 😳

BRAIN TUMOUR RESEARCH

Some of my friends on here that I've known the longest will know many years ago I was a keen cyclist, but as I sit here like a couch potato and 4 stones heavier this seems a life time ago.

About 8 years ago, by pure chance I sat next to someone at LCFC, and since then I've gained an amazing friend in Linda Peel. Devastatingly in January 2020 her only child Andi was diagnosed with a grade 4 glioblastoma brain tumour at the age of 27. Two weeks ago I attended a charity event, a memorial for Andi, as in January this year, after putting up the most courageous battle, at the age of 30 he couldn't fight it anymore.
Some information on the disease that took Andi.

The average survival time is 12-18 months.

Only 25% of patients survive 1 year, and only 5% of patients survive more than 5 years.

Brain tumours kill more children and adults under the age of 40 than any other cancer.

Astonishingly just 1% of the national spend on cancer research is allocated to this devastating disease.

So how do I do my little bit for brain tumour research? I want to push myself out of my comfort zone. My cycling stats for this year up to the charity event were, 4 rides totalling 35 miles, less than 9 miles per ride! Every May Norwich has a bike ride, either 30, 60 or 100 miles. 30 miles I feel would be the easy option, 100 miles (average 12mph is over 8 hours continuous cycling) I believe is beyond me as the most I've ever ridden is 72 miles (100k) but you never know! So 60 miles is my aim, which training through the winter months will not be pleasurable, but that is where the determination to help this charity will push me.
Why am I posting this now? It's easy to say privately that you are going to do this, that or the other, then you can't be bothered. So I'm setting myself up for public ridicule if I "can't be bothered"

I'm not asking for sponsorship now, but if my training goes to plan I will be asking for donations in the couple of months before the ride.

I might post a monthly update if anyone is interested?

13 rider

Guru
Good luck ,
You've got plenty of time just get out in the glorious summer sunshine ( yes there's sarcasm in that statement )and just gets some miles in .
Keep us update with progress
Do you have a turbo to keep you riding during any bad weather

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think you are lacking ambition - if an assumption I'm making is correct.

This is Norwich/Norfolk so it ought to be fairly flat.

If there's no hills there may be winds, but even so, 100 miles in that terrain is really is not that difficult.

Go for the century - you'll regret it if you don't.

davidphilips

Veteran
Perhaps start and cycle 4 or 5 times a week even short cycles and even if the weather is really bad try and use an indoor trainer,even 10 or 15 minutes a day, build up slowly one of your cycles every week.
Posting updates is a great thing because its a great incentive, main thing do not compare your training, speed, distance or power to others including what you could have done a few years ago, try and enjoy each cycle.
As for possible public humiliation when you cycle you are viewed to hold up traffic, not pay tax, and should know better.ask most BMW drivers and thats the reason theres a horn fitted to cars to sound at cyclists and as long as its not raining put the window down and shout some names and insults.
Setting a goal and cycling and charity is both a personal achievement and doing good for everyone and should be praised go for it and happy cycling.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Very best of luck.

Couple of suggestions

1) Why not give us a weekly update rather than monthly - it's immediate enough to give you the motivation to ride
2) I'm sure you could get that 100 with several months of training. Go for it!

vickster

Legendary Member
As for possible public humiliation when you cycle you are viewed to hold up traffic, not pay tax, and should know better.ask most BMW drivers and thats the reason theres a horn fitted to cars to sound at cyclists and as long as its not raining put the window down and shout some names and insults.

He does say… So I'm setting myself up for public ridicule if I "can't be bothered"…nothing to do with BMWs…way to go with trying to put him off before he starts :wacko:

Good luck @Broughtonblue
A friend of mine passed away in May 2021 aged 50 after an 18 month battle with glioblastoma :sad:

davidphilips

Veteran
He does say… So I'm setting myself up for public ridicule if I "can't be bothered"…nothing to do with BMWs…way to go with trying to put him off before he starts :wacko:

Good luck @Broughtonblue
A friend of mine passed away in May 2021 aged 50 after an 18 month battle with glioblastoma :sad:

Certainly did not intend to put OP or anyone of cycling, quite the opposite. Actually trying to encourage him.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Every good wish for success in your excellent personal initiative. I had a look through the survival statistics on the NHS website and they do not seem to be quite so pessimistic as the ones you quote — perhaps due in part to the effect of charitable actions such as the one you are undertaking. There is a whole constellation of positive spin-offs from action in this area including improvements to home-care options and palliative care which is relevant to many conditions beyond those caused by cancer.

On the riding front this really is one of those areas where anything is better than nothing. Even a 5km toddle to work can give a significant increase in fitness if you incorporate a couple of flat-out sprints into the journey. Add a weekly Saturday gentle 100km and you are well on the way. As well as a great football club, Leicester has great cycling clubs. Join one and you will soon find like-minded and like-legged people to help you on your way. Start here. Or for Norwich, try this. Well done thus far, every success for the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Good luck ,
You've got plenty of time just get out in the glorious summer sunshine ( yes there's sarcasm in that statement )and just gets some miles in .
Keep us update with progress
Do you have a turbo to keep you riding during any bad weather

I have one of these, unfortunately no way of keeping track of my efforts except manually recording time and settings, but yes very usable when the weather is bad

Attachments

• 20230731_105653.jpg
    20230731_105653.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Broughtonblue
I think you are lacking ambition - if an assumption I'm making is correct.

This is Norwich/Norfolk so it ought to be fairly flat.

If there's no hills there may be winds, but even so, 100 miles in that terrain is really is not that difficult.

Go for the century - you'll regret it if you don't.

I did say "you never know" to the 100, a bit of context, I'm 56 and 19.5 stone, barely cycled in 8 years, and 10 years since I did my longest ride (72m/100k) so will be more than happy to do 60

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230731_185356_Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_185356_Connect.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom