Possibly a scam looking like Paypal

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Speicher, 18 Apr 2008.

1. Speicher

Speicher Vice Admiral Moderator

I have received an e-mail that "looks like" it is from Paypal. It confirms that I have paid $99 USD for a "solid gold hearts, hugs and kisses Bracelet".

I certainly have not ordered such an item.

It then says "If you have not authorized this charge, click the link below to cancel the payment and get a full refund".

I strongly suspect that in clicking the Dispute Transaction link, something sinister will happen. I have purchased items of low cost on E-bay, but first you get an invoice, and then you go through logging in to "pay". Has anyone else received something similar? It says it is from service(at)paypal-us.com.

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I would just delete the email Speicher. Then log into your eBay account in a separate browser window and check your account out in My eBay just to settle your mind.

DO NOT CLICK ANY LINKS IN THE EMAIL. ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Speicher

Speicher Vice Admiral Moderator

I thought it looked a bit suspicious, they rely on people being busy, and just clicking the link. I have deleted the e-mail, and checked my account at e-bay, which looks fine. Thank you for your advice, Dom.

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

If you hover the cursor over the fake link, you'll see it's not ebay or paypal - i.e. www.yahoo/fakecash/blahblah/ebay/profile

Some are very convincing - just delete as Dom said. My wife did it once - first and last time - dived into ebay and changed our passwords PDQ !

5. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I get these moderately regularly. For the sake of others, i always report it, then delete.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice