Possibly a silly question about panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crumpetman

I have a pannier rack and currently strap a bag to the top of it. The bag has change of clothes, food etc. I think a pannier bag would be much more suitable so I tried a cheap one from Tesco. First I could not get it to fit particularly well and second I could not work out the best way to pack it.

What do I do when I get to my destination? Remove the pannier bags completely or empty them out into another type of bag?

Depends what they have got in them and whether the stuff is nickable I suppose.

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

I do not mind leaving the bags attached to the bike when I get to work but I don't want to then have to carry several plastic carrier bags around with me.

Are there bags that can be removed quickly and then used as a conventional bag with a shoulder strap or something? Or are you supposed to use an inner bag inside the pannier bag to transport your items from the bike to the office?

I think there are bags that can be removed quickly and carried around.In fact I saw a workmate do it the other day.

Welcome to the board btw.:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
crumpetman said:
I do not mind leaving the bags attached to the bike when I get to work but I don't want to then have to carry several plastic carrier bags around with me.

Are there bags that can be removed quickly and then used as a conventional bag with a shoulder strap or something? Or are you supposed to use an inner bag inside the pannier bag to transport your items from the bike to the office?

Most panniers are designed to be removed, some are very quick remove, most will have some sort of carrying handle and some will also have a shoulder shoulder strap to carry them by, it comes dow to how much you want to pay. If you are looking for something to leave on the bike, then maybe it would be worth looking at a basket as another option.

benb said:
Do most panniers fit most racks?

Yes, but some racks allow panniers to swing towards the wheel. Better racks have a dog-leg in them to ensure the pannier stays clear.

crumpetman said:

My preference is for the Ortleib roller style. Just grab the handle, lift up and they are unclipped, and can be carried with the shoulder strap. If you want cheaper, Canyon branded waterproof panniers on Amazon are a similar idea but not as tough. On the Ortleib, clips come with 2 sets of spacers to suit different diameters of rack framework.

Of course, there are really awkward ones out there like the cheap sort I used to have with buckles to fasten to the rack, with a top bag permanently fixed joining the two panniers together. They seem spacious but are a pain.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
I had a pair of these Tesco panniers and they were a nightmare to put on and off and all three zips went within two weeks . Needless to say i binned them .

skrx

I leave my panniers on my bike 99% of the time, but then I only have these ones, which cost £11.47. They're "locked" (through the various loops) with a £1 lock from a pound shop.

The panniers aren't very good, but they are reasonable value for money. I've had them for 18 months and they're still mostly OK. They attach with velcro straps which are quite fiddly. I can fit all my shopping in them. They aren't very stiff (I don't know if this is normal), so a rack that protects the back wheel is a must.

I think I look like a tramp going into a pub with a worn-out "bag for life" holding a t-shirt and my bike lights, but I've not got round to buying a small, lightweight bag to carry things when I go somewhere after work.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I've got Altura Arran panniers. It only takes a couple of seconds to remove them from the rack and they're okay for carrying stuff around off the bike, though nowhere nearly as good as a decent rucksack. So it's more convenient, not to mention secure, for me to take off the panniers when I park up.

Top Bottom