Possibly dumb question about gearing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I currently ride a Scott Expert roadie, fairly old but not vintage. I'm trying to get my gearing down to 48-38-28 at the front, but cannot, due to issues around braze-on mechs and odd shaped seat tube. So I was wondering if it's possible to find a reasonably light steel frame and transfer the various bits, then sort the chainset issue with a band-on fd. The Scott weighs around 25lb all in, and I'd not want to exceed that if at all possible. I can no longer lift my steel MTBs onto the car, so I have to keep the weight to that level.
Is it likely I can find a suitable frame, do you think?

How well used are your components?
Price selling the Scott and buying a replacement, new or used.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I Would say achieving the same weight with a steel frame is not achievable but you should be able to get close and the advantages would outweigh the gains. A good full 531 frame should give you what you want for a small weight penalty.

Sharky

Guru
What rings do you have on the front currently? Increasing the size of the rear cassette might be an easier option to get lower gears?

What’s your lowest gear on your Cassette?
A long cage rear mech, new cassette and longer chain may be your cheapest option for easier gearing.

What rings do you have on the front currently? Increasing the size of the rear cassette might be an easier option to get lower gears?
52-42-30 up front and Alivio SGS 11-34 out back. It's not that much of a change I want, but not easy to achieve. Only other option I've come up with is to find a 50-39-30 chainset and move to 9-speed, which would give me the option of a 36t cassette.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
All the searching turns up lots of frames, in 531, ally, etc, and almost without exception, way too big. 5 foot 8 and 29 inside leg, nearly everything is too big! The trek 800 I have is an 18" frame, bought new, and that's fine, although it's a sloping tube frame.

Normally smaller framed bikes do come up but either go quickly as quite rare or stay for sale for ages as demand is not so good as 21" + frames

All the searching turns up lots of frames, in 531, ally, etc, and almost without exception, way too big. 5 foot 8 and 29 inside leg, nearly everything is too big! The trek 800 I have is an 18" frame, bought new, and that's fine, although it's a sloping tube frame.
Couldn't you use a steel frame of around 21 -22 inch and then fit smaller wheels if needed, 700's or 26 inch? Or as I do lean the frame over when climbing on and off .

Top Bottom