Possibly dumb question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Given a set of bars like that, I'd go with MTB-style brak/shifter combos, as I've done on the Scott.
Sounds like a plan. I will definitely get you a photo if not today then most probably tomorrow.....in truth lm struggling with a very swollen knee and am staggering around on crutches. Caused by gardening, not by cycling l hasten to add.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds like a plan. I will definitely get you a photo if not today then most probably tomorrow.....in truth lm struggling with a very swollen knee and am staggering around on crutches. Caused by gardening, not by cycling l hasten to add.
:hugs:

carpenter

Über Member
Given a set of bars like that, I'd go with MTB-style brak/shifter combos, as I've done on the Scott.

I agree it would make for a easier ride!

The Falcon started as a project to see what I could do with a really s--t frame (I fell in love with the lugs!).
When my wife started questioning how many bikes I was accumulating. I said that I thought she might like to use it as a pub bike; she didn't get on with the original drop bars so I fitted the straights - funny how bikes evolve ^_^

The flat bars are Raleigh alloy ones (about £15):
https://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/raleigh-trekking-handlebars-alloy-rnh261.html

The brake levers are Shimano:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-tiagra-r550-flat-bar-brake-levers/rp-prod34695

I love these levers - quality build, comfortable, easy/efficient braking and fair price.

Also, thanks for the likes (must get a better camera 'phone)

fr188

I use bar end friction shifters with 10 speed Modern group sets, and it works great, in fact I did index them , but it felt better in friction mode, so I’ve been happily doing that for some time, I still have a bike with flight deck gear & break levers, & I’m thinking about changing that one over to friction shifting as I’m so happy with it, you also end up with a gearing system which is easy to move with no faffing about trying to index, you just connect up the cables & away you go, simple & very satisfying & cheaper.

woodbutcher

Veteran
IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG
Bonjour, photos of bars and stem at last ....both ITM. Dont know postage cost but if you aren't in a hurry l will find out when my knee allows me to get to the post office. My guess is it would be 10 to 15 euros. Anyway let me know if the bars are what you are looking for. :smile:
View attachment 419872 View attachment 419872

raleighnut

Legendary Member

woodbutcher

Veteran
Looks like he's got nothing 'to lose' then :smile:
Right, time for Tdf and Alpe d'Huez ^_^

KneesUp

Guru
Its all possible, plus you can have indexed down tube shifters.
Although they look very slightly weird - I have 8 speed indexed downtube shifters on my 'assembled from bits, slightly too large' Ribble. To get the pull right, the diameter of the round bit at the end needs to be larger than is 'classic' so they look bulky compared to proper old style friction ones. That said, when I used 'classically' proportioned ones, you had to pull the rear shifter almost all the way back to get enough pull to get into bottom gear on the cassette.

Top Bottom