Possibly dumb question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
@DCBassman Google Raleigh Pioneer Trail sounds like almost ideal
PIONEER TRAIL OFFSIDE.jpg

I'm somewhat biased, being a Pioneer Trail owner myself, but they have flat style MTB bars rather than North Roads, so might not suit.
As much as I love the classic looks of downtube friction shifters, I have to admit the indexed bar-top mounted variety are a whole lot more user-friendly, especially in urban environments involving a lot of stopping and starting and the need to keep an eye on traffic whilst changing gear.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 420121
I'm somewhat biased, being a Pioneer Trail owner myself, but they have flat style MTB bars rather than North Roads, so might not suit.
As much as I love the classic looks of downtube friction shifters, I have to admit the indexed bar-top mounted variety are a whole lot more user-friendly, especially in urban environments involving a lot of stopping and starting and the need to keep an eye on traffic whilst changing gear.
You could fit 'North Road' bars easy to one, even keep the original levers.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You could fit 'North Road' bars easy to one, even keep the original levers.

Yes you could, it comes down to whether you want to buy something "off the shelf" and use it as it comes, or whether you are happy to mess around. One thing worth considering is that North Roads tend to shorten your reach a bit, because of their shape, so might not be too good if the bike has a relatively short top tube or is a tad on the small side to start with. IIRC, my Pioneer TT length is about 22" on a 23 1/2" size frame. For comparison, I've measured an old 3-speed Puch roadster with a 22" frame that has a TT length of 23".

Top Bottom