Post Touring Depression

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Nice to do a tour with your Dad. I bet he enjoyed it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Anyone else here had it?
My dad and I finished our Way of the Roses last Thursday and as of the Friday, I've been feeling low.
I'd planned on doing a write up of the ups and downs and calamity of our tour and I can't find the will to do it. I almost wish I hadn't returned home and just carried on riding.
I used to go for a 'training camp' cycling holiday on the Costa Blanca in March every year with a friend. I'd ride 1,200-1,300 hilly kms in the 2 weeks and get thoroughly exhausted, so I needed to come back to relax to recover from my holiday! My friend, however, used to sink into a near-depressed state when he came back, which was usually to chilly, murky conditions after warm, sunny conditions in Spain. Also, it meant him going back to a job that he didn't want to do. In the end, it got too much for him so he packed up here and moved to Spain!

So, yes, other people do get depressed like that. I suppose it depends on how much you enjoy the tour/holiday and how much you enjoy the 9-to-5 back home?

As Sharky posted - it must have been nice to have done the trip with your dad. Perhaps you should plan another trip to have something to look forward to?

I hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:
Nope, you're not alone.
It's the one aspect of touring that there is very little information about (that I can find, anyways).

Everyone is different and what works for one, may not work for another.

Me? I'll force myself onto the bike and go for a ride - a lot of the time I won't want to, but once I'm out I'm glad I did. A few times out and it becomes self reinforcing.
(When I started commuting on the bike was best of all because I had to ride!)

Give the write up a shot - even if only a pen and paper and look at photos. It's a bit like a hill, tough at the start, you survive then it's all downhill!

Other things I've done is to read other people's accounts of similar routes or use the distance covered as inspiration for the next adventure.

With absolutely no medical training behind me, I'm convinced that the exercise, the fresh air and the new landscapes energise the body and returning home causes the body to slump.
At home, we can still get fresh air and exercise, we just need a bit of imagination to look anew at familiar landscapes.

Of course, recreating the "touring experience" at home can help too - anyone for a Guinness out of a pot? ^_^

Now that I know you're going to do a write up.....
Pull your feckin' finger out!!!! I've been waiting ages for this one!
(Meant in the nicest possible way!)

The very best of luck to you

Anyone else here had it?
My dad and I finished our Way of the Roses last Thursday and as of the Friday, I've been feeling low.
I'd planned on doing a write up of the ups and downs and calamity of our tour and I can't find the will to do it. I almost wish I hadn't returned home and just carried on riding.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear this is common: you've made a goal, and the tour was focussed on that goal, so you'll feel a let down, and you'll be going from the positivity of the tour to "normal" where people will have varying responses from encouraging to indifferent to downright hostile, possibly due to envy or insecurity: you've achieved something they haven't; it doesn't matter what you achieved, but sometimes people feel insecure when other have achieved something and try to pull them down ("to earth").

Also you were making lots of positive endorphins while touring which will have stopped suddenly as your body doesn't need to produce them at that level, your routine has been shaken up...

Could be any one of those reasons.

Last edited:

Ripple

Veteran
Welcome to the club :hello:

Last year I was cycling between 2 towns in one of the European countries and I was caught in a torrential rain. Got completely soaked in 5 minutes.
Next day I left warm and dry hotel at 5am only to go into another wet torrential rain.
I wasn't full of motivation then but few days after I finished the tour I started to miss all of these moments.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way and hope it passes quickly.
The combination of physical tiredness and depletion with having just "lost" a special experience maybe makes sense of a temporary low mood; I know I've felt that way after a long planned, tough ride. I f its longer lasting or a deeper depression please ask for professional help.

Cymro74

Definitely had the same feeling. It starts on morning of final day when you know the adventure is about to finish.
All you can do is have a few ideas on the go so you can start planning the next trip straightaway, building on what you've just learned.

I had a low after returning from 3 months tour. Its not just the lower excercise volume but the lack of adventure. Maybe try some local mini overnight adventures. Start planning next.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Yep I too can very much empathise with this.
Get your maps out, look at the route you followed and be thinking about your next adventure.
Take care
Tim

Top Bottom