Post Touring Depression

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Post anything 'depression' (or flat spot) is very common.

Post degree, post travel, post big project of any sort.

Although I think we should be careful not to conflate it with real life 'depression' which is a different, and much nastier animal.

After a big old effort at whatever it is, even if, when you're doing it, all you want is for it to be done.

Even after all that, whether you 'succeed' or not at the project, 'normal' life can feel a bit flat, and dull, and unchallenging.

"Where's the fight ?"

And everyone else, soon tires of your tales of 'derring done'

I'm usually planning the next trip, or two :angel:while I'm still on the present one.

Some of us just have itchy feet, or tyres.

There's even the lovely word 'fernweh' to describe that wistful wanderlust, which some of us, do suffer with.

It's perfectly normal.

But 'actual' depression is a medical condition, that needs proper attention.

iluvmybike

Über Member
You do not have 'depression' - you are just a bit cheesed off that you have now got to get back to the routine. That's life! Think on the all the wonderful things from the trip- you were able to go on your with your Dad, had a great fun time and some adventures on the way. You are fortunate to be able to do so and many would give their right arm just to be able to do so. If you didn't get back to the 'routine' maybe you wouldn't have appreciated the trip so much. You now have some great memories that you and your Dad can share over a pint or two.
However, if you feel really so bad about the 'routine' you could always change it - we all have choices. You could chuck the routine in and go off around the world ( well, only after Covid perhaps!). But if you choose to have things such as a regular job, mortgage, household bills, family commitments, etc then you have to accept that you will have to be in the routine a lot of the time - BUT you can intersperse that time with some lovely trips. Be in the now and enjoy the feelings from the trip and rejoice in that and embrace the routine as that helps you to be able to afford to go on those trips too:smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I actually do suffer from depression :smile:
It was a couple rough weeks following the end of the tour but I'm 'ok' now. More common than I thought and thanks to folk on this forum, made easier to deal with :smile:
We've plans for next year, but where, when and how is to be discovered.

Been on the anxiety /depression roller coaster for more of my life than not - due to experiences beyond my control..

Although a lot of folks wouldn't have known - masking it - and trying to 'escape myself' with all kinds of edifying, and super busy activity as a 'survival technique' was part of my 'schtick' .

A need, to always be moving onto the next thing, or the next 'achievement' was a way of avoiding what needed dealing with, on the inside, but i did eventually have to face up to my 'troublesome' self..

That's a scary thing to do, in many ways - much more so than venturing out into the great unknown.

I still have a very 'full' life compared with many i sp'ose, but thats cos I'm busy doing fulfilling things i want to do - or that i feel have value -
-rather than just being on an endless treadmill of self validation.

One of those 'needs' is adventure travel.

Running a farm, and other commitments , means i never get to do quite as much of that as i think i'd like to.

But i do wonder if it would lose some of its spice, if i could just swan about, at my leisure all of the time.

That said - I'm definitely working on rebalancing the old work : life ratio in favour of more going out to play.

I think it really helps to be hoping for the best, and planning future trips right now, in gloomy November - rather than angsting over whether we will ever be 'allowed out to play' again.

And keeping fit , in the hope of that being a reality next year is a good idea - in addition to it just being a good idea anyhow - even if you have to boot yourself out of the door into the murk..

Keep up with the recovery work @ Vantage - you and all the other survivors - and plan another trip or goal - as you say there's many in the same not so robust 'mental elf' position - thank goodness it gets talked about more freely nowadays :okay:

ExBrit

Über Member
Anyone else here had it?
My dad and I finished our Way of the Roses last Thursday and as of the Friday, I've been feeling low.
I'd planned on doing a write up of the ups and downs and calamity of our tour and I can't find the will to do it. I almost wish I hadn't returned home and just carried on riding.
My daughter and I have been looking at that tour. Did you ever do your write-up?
Thanks

Brandane

Legendary Member
My daughter and I have been looking at that tour. Did you ever do your write-up?
Thanks
I did it in 2011 (10 years ago, really? :ohmy:) from east to west. Have since done it west to east but probably didn't bother with a trip report.
This is the trip report for the 2011 ride.
Sorry the photos have disappeared due to the greed of Photobucket :sad:.

Top Bottom