Way of the Roses; just done it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Just home after an amazing 3 days doing the WOTR from east to west. Bike used was a Specialized Tricross kitted out with a small handlebar bag from Decathlon, and a Carradice camper saddlebag. I was travelling as light as possible as I had decided on using Bed and Breakfasts due to my liking for a comfortable bed and a decent breakfast!

Tuesday May 3rd was spent mostly getting from Ayrshire to Bridlington by train. From Largs to Glasgow, then Glasgow to Doncaster (ironically passing through York; the following days destination), and then another train from Doncaster to Bridlington. On arrival the sun was shining so I decided to head down to the starting point and get a couple of photos by the sign. I then headed off to my BnB which was quite near the town centre.

Stillonly170milestogo.jpg

A decent nights sleep and an "ok" breakfast saw me on the road before 10am, heading for my next nights stay in York, a distance of about 60 miles according to the official WOTR map. A fairly easy day, mostly flat and with a favourable breeze blowing. Lunch was had at The Wolds Inn, a nice pub at the top of the days only gradual climb. The sun was still shining so I sat outside the pub and chatted to a couple of hikers.
WoldsInnatHuggate.jpg
A group of roadies came past going like a train, considering they had just reached the top of a fairly long hill! Arrived in York about 3pm, so went for a bit of touristy sight seeing before heading off to the BnB.
YorkMinster3.jpg

Thursday I knew was not going to be as easy as Wednesday! Looking at the map, there were a few climbs in store. To start with it was much like yesterday, nice and flat country lanes. Found a superb tea shop/bakers in Boroughbridge (Gilchrists) which sold amazing carrot cake! Decided to buy a couple of filled rolls from them (and another piece of carrot cake) to have for lunch at some point later on. The signing throughout the route is first class, with one exception. In Ripon town centre at the market square, after you have been sent round the one way system you see 2 sustrans signs, both for the WOTR but pointing in opposite directions! Obviously one is for eastbound, the other west. But no way for strangers to tell which is which. The road sign above gives a clue. It says Pately Bridge is to the left, and as I'm heading for Pately Bridge then I must go left? Wrong choice; but you realise that within 300 yards, when you are heading back the way you just came....
AnddontthinkitstheoneyouthinkitisImadewrongchoice-1.jpg

After Ripon you pass through the really nice grounds of Fountains Abbey, then start climbing up to Brimham Rocks.
BrimhamRocks-1.jpg
Following that, there is a nice downhill into Pately Bridge. I had been warned about the climb out of Pately Bridge, so I had a stop there for ice cream; bananas, and peanuts; plus a lot of water! Then it was off up the hill. It fully deserves its reputation. 3 or 4 miles of gritted teeth, sweat, and swearing followed, but eventually I made it to Bewerley moor.
StartofthebigclimboutofPatelyBridge.jpg
As my next overnight stop was to be in Grassington, I deviated slightly from the map route and headed along the B6265 into Grassington. Part of this involved a long downhill section where my speedo was showing 50.4 mph; a personal best for me, I think. The BnB in Grassington was a nice old farm-house near the town. A short walk into town followed, and a visit to the Devonshire pub for a beer or two! Then to the Forresters Arms for another beer and a huge plate of food before heading back for a good nights sleep.

Yet another cooked breakfast before heading off on the Friday morning. I felt as if today would be easier; it has to be if you're ending up at sea level! Plus it was "only" 50 miles today, with just the one big climb out of Settle. The weather wasn't looking too good though, and the wind had changed so was now coming from the south. Not long into the day, the rain came on. Not too heavy, but enough to let you know it was raining! It stayed on for about an hour as I climbed the hill over towards Settle.
AnotherclimbbetweenHornbyandLancaster-1.jpg
By the time I left the cake stop in Settle it had dried out, and that was the only rain I saw during the whole trip. The route to Clapham was non eventful until the turn off just after Wharfe on the map. It takes you up a steep hill on a badly surfaced bridle path, over a rough track and then down another steep path with an even worse surface, into Clapham. All this to avoid about 100 yards of the A65!
BridlewayoutsideClapham-1.jpg

Another stop at Clapham was called for after that, and a pub lunch washed down with a pint of Yorkshires finest. Then it was off on the home stretch through Hornby and over to Lancaster.
EnteringLancashire-1.jpg

Not before another fairly energy sapping climb; of course!
NicepartoftherouteeastofLancaster.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised with the route through Lancaster; mainly a riverside paved path.
RiversidepathintoLancaster.jpg
Well sign posted and a distinct lack of broken glass (as would be expected in most large towns around my home area, along with stolen sustrans signage). The path continues through Lancaster right to Morecambe, and the FINISH LINE!!!!!
DoneitThatwaseasy-1.jpg

Another night at a BnB, then the train home up the west coast line today. A fantastic trip altogether, and not something I would have even contemplated a year ago. So what's next? Hmmmm....................

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Congratulations!

I might be doing the ride in June.

Fran143

Über Member
Sounds like you had a fantastic time, pics are good and the weather looks great.....lucky you!! Whats next?

F.

vernon

+1 for what the others have said - nice write up.

Now the bug for touring has been caught, get abroad, get a tent and explore.

A C2C proved to the be precursor for:

LEJOG
JOGLE
Walney to Wear
Another C2C
Channel to Med
St Malo to Nantes to Beaune x 2
Yorkshire Dales Cycle Way

Over the past six or seven years. All of them were cycle camping tours.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sounds like you had a fantastic time, pics are good and the weather looks great.....lucky you!! Whats next?

F.

A small idea at the moment; which might grow into a bigger idea once I recover from WOTR is....... Scotland from end to end :smile:. Mull of Galloway lighthouse to Dunnet Head. First of all I need to know if I can use front panniers on a bike with carbon forks, as this would be a camping trip. Will start a new thread re this. Done a wee bit of research into this and it is about 450/500 miles :ohmy:, maybe biting off more than I can chew but if I take my time it should be ok......

vernon

A small idea at the moment; which might grow into a bigger idea once I recover from WOTR is....... Scotland from end to end :smile:. Mull of Galloway lighthouse to Dunnet Head. First of all I need to know if I can use front panniers on a bike with carbon forks, as this would be a camping trip. Will start a new thread re this. Done a wee bit of research into this and it is about 450/500 miles :ohmy:, maybe biting off more than I can chew but if I take my time it should be ok......

I don't recall seeing any posts saying that it's possible to use front panniers on carbon forks whenever the subject's raised.

What's wrong with using panniers on your rear rack?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
What's wrong with using panniers on your rear rack?

I do use panniers on the rear rack, but I reckon to carry a tent, sleeping bag, mattress (I have a Thermarest self inflater so it's light enough), and all the other bits 'n' pieces required for a 500 mile trip I will need front ones as well. The weight distribution factor would come into it as well. I have done a short camping trip before, using only rear panniers, and it was a bit of a nightmare not having any weight at the front!

lowrider73

Just looked at your write-up and the photos, which are really good. the Way of the Roses is one ride I want to do on a double crossing, the other being the Walney to Whitby route. I will probably start at Bridlington and most likely to do the ride in August time.

Top Bottom