post your favorite recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Noodley said:
Nobody speaks like that! You are one step away from 'forsooth.'

;)

Oh that your too, too solid post would thaw, resolve and melt into a stew

From To Fry or Not To Fry by Crackle

:becool:

surfgurl

My husband makes Homity Pie.
Make some pastry or cheat and buy the ready rolled stuff in the supermarket. Put it in a shallow dish, like you would use for a quiche.
Boil some potatoes and chop into small chunks. Fry these with some bits of bacon, an onion and garlic. When it is all fried put it in the pastry and adorn with cheese. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown on about 180 degrees C.
Serve with a nice salad.
It tastes lovely hot from the oven, but even better the next day.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Basic/quick/adaptable Spag bol.

Put pan of water onto boil for pasta (doesn't have to be spaghetti, could be any shape). When it boils, add pasta and cook it...

While you wait for the water to boil....

Chop onion, fry in olive oil. Add minced beef and stir about until all browned.

Add tinned tomatoes (Half a big tin is enough for one) to beef and onion and a good squirt of tomato purree and black pepper and a dash of mixed herbs.

Simmer the sauce for as long as it takes your pasta to be cooked. Drain pasta, put on plate or a in bowl, tip sauce over the top.

The adaptable bit is all the other things you can bung in. I usually add one or all of the following - red or yellow pepper (diced up and fried in with onion), black olives from a jar, tinned (or frozen) sweet corn. You can also replace the beef with diced up strips of bacon or chicken (ok, it's getting well away form a spag bol now, but...) or leave out the meat stage and once the tomatoes are in, add cooked chicken, or tinned tuna. Or leave out the meat altogether and bung more veg in. Add chilli powder and red kidney beans (or even baked beans) for a chilli con carne version.

I usually bung this together in 20 minutes. I know it should really all be simmered for ages to let the flavours develop, but I can't be bothered, and it works fine for me, and no one I've served it to has ever complained.xx(

Or there's poor man's (well, poor Arch's) kegeree. Cook long grain rice, hard boil a couple of eggs. Chop eggs up, and flake up a tin of mackeral (in oil or brine) with a fork. When rice is cooked, mix in the mackeral and egg, along with a nice dollop of butter and if you fancy spice, a little curry paste (the sort in jars).

And then there's curry - easy if you use a paste. Fry onion, add in whatever meat and brown that, add any veg, add curry paste, then liquid (stock, or tinned tomatoes) and simmer. Thicken with cornflour if you need to, or yoghurt....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
add curry paste

Heathen;)

Look, when I get in, hungry, I want a quick and easy solution, and one jar of curry paste is there in my cupboard, ready to go, and lasts for ages....xx(

I do have a proper spice tin, but for one, it's a lot of faff to go to....

OP
OP
P

peanut

User1314 said:
Delicious, healthy and 5 minutes to prepare.
Stick in oven for 2.5 hours on low to medium heat turning once.

Hmmmmmm.........

2.5 hours in the oven for one drumstick!:headshake::ohmy::ohmy:

you're must be adding too much jerk:biggrin:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
rice.

2 persons.

1 cup rice.

2 cups water.

boil. 12 mins.

turn off when you can see the rice.

wait 10 mins.

stir in chopped garlic and herbs.

done.

Dan, I think you've been watching Gordon Ramsey for too long! :laugh::biggrin:

Risotto with Peas and Saffron.

To start put a pinch of saffron threads to soak in warm water for 30 minutes to infuse, then strained, or 2 sachets saffron powder

Fry a finely chopped small onion gently in butter until softened but not coloured at all. Add all the rice in one go and quickly toast the grains in the hot butter and onion for up to five minutes or until they are crackling hot, but not browned at all. Pour in a glass of white wine or vermouth. Let it get absorbed by the rice.
Then add the first 3 ladles from 2 pints of hot vegetable stock and stir together thoroughly. Add all the peas except for one handful, stir together for 2 or 3 minutes, then begin to add more stock and stir thoroughly together.
Continue to cook the risotto, adding more stock, 1 ladle at a time, each time the spoon opens up a clear wake behind it as you draw the spoon through the cooking risotto. Keep an eye on the heat so as not to let the risotto cook too quickly.
When the risotto is cooked thoroughly, in other words the rice grains are firm to the bite and neither pappy nor chalky, and the texture is suitably creamy, take it off the heat.
Stir in a little more butter and the rest of the peas, the saffron powder or strained infusion from the saffron threads, seasoning to taste and a add two tbsp l of parmesan cheese. Stir thoroughly, then cover and leave to stand for four minutes.
After the risotto has rested, stir once more and transfer on to a warmed serving dish or individual plates, sprinkle with a little more cheese and serve at once.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Fish finger Sandwich... grill 4 fishfingers each side for 5 minutes, MEANWHILE butter two slices of bread. Put fishfingers in between slices of bread and eat.

Soup... Open Heinz tin of soup and heat in pan for 5 mins. Drink. Add bread for extra carb.

Baked Potato (baked not jacket). Pop in oven in tin foil for one hour, MEANWHILE have a long hot soak in bath. Get out of bath, take foil off potato and bake for further 15 mins until skin is crispy. add lots of butter and lots of cheese. eat.

MacDonalds... drive to drivethrough, order food, pay cash, park up and eat. This one is really easy coz you don't have to leave your car.

KFC... as with MacDonalds but drive to KFC drivethrough instead.

Pizza... find number in phone book, dial number, order, pay with credit card. Wait patiently for 40 minutes, answer door, tip guy if he is good looking.. eat.

Readymeal... get in car, visit mom, tell her you were "just passing and thought you would pop in". sit patiently while mom cooks for you.

:laugh:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
very quick snacks...

1) toast, marg or butter, marmite ;)

2)toast, marg or butter, marmite +sliced boiled egg on top :laugh:

3)toast, marg or butter, peanut butter, sliced banana on top :biggrin:

4) a mars bar

5) toast, marg or butter, 1 tin sardines on top ;):tongue::tongue:

Abitrary

buggi said:
Pizza... find number in phone book, dial number, order, pay with credit card. Wait patiently for 40 minutes, answer door, tip guy if he is good looking.. eat.

Pizza. I'd would pay for pizza delivery with my credit card only if I was insane.

Count out a load of change from your change jar and pay with them with that. If they complain, tell them to get a new job... or to stop being an illegal immigrant.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Abitrary said:
Pizza. I'd would pay for pizza delivery with my credit card only if I was insane.

Count out a load of change from your change jar and pay with them with that. If they complain, tell them to get a new job... or to stop being an illegal immigrant.

this is true, i only pay with cash too. but credit card is an option if you are too lazy to go to cashpoint.

Top Bottom