Postage and Packing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I'm selling my BMC Team Machine Road Bike and have had an enquiry asking if I would post the bike to London from Glasgow. As a ball part figure, does anyone know how much it would be to post a bike to London and what is the best way to do it. Would I have to get a bike box from somewhere?

Jason

vickster

Legendary Member
I paid £30 when I bought a bike off eBay. But from a bike shop so they may have a deal.
You’ll need a bike box with lots of packing material and do some disassembly (LBS should have boxes)

Make sure it’s insured for the full sale value

@biggs682 sends bikes and might have a preferred courier.
I’ve seen paisley freight mentioned

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Dpd were ok with my trike. That came on a pallet .
Sent plenty of bikes over the years. Box it up . Get a box from LBS.
Pay attention to pading parts etc.
I would add £50 for posting and £15 for packing as it takes over an hour.
If boxed it will be any courier but I have found DPD to be the most reliable.

Don't forget to inform the buyer that the bike will be disassembled and no returns accepted

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi there

I'm selling my BMC Team Machine Road Bike and have had an enquiry asking if I would post the bike to London from Glasgow. As a ball part figure, does anyone know how much it would be to post a bike to London and what is the best way to do it. Would I have to get a bike box from somewhere?

Jason

Hi last time I sent a bike which was about 18 months ago by Paisley Freight it cost around £40 but please ensure that you package it well .

Thanks @vickster

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Go to a LBS or Halfords. They are usually happy enough to give away cardboard bike boxes.
For packing, pop to B&Q or Homebase and buy some foam pipe tubing. Its very cheap. You can then place around all the tubes of the bike and over the rear derailleur.
As others have said Paisley Freight for shipping.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Thanks everyone. How do I pack the bike?

I got two bike boxes, free, from my LBS (I was shipping a recumbent). I then used wads of bubble wrap for the pointy bits and plenty of foam pipe insulation for the frame tubes. You can get that at B&Q.

Seal well with plenty of packing tape and a big address label on either side (including sender and contact tel number).

vickster

Legendary Member
If anything is carbon make sure that’s very well wrapped.
You’ll need to remove front wheel usually, seatpost, pedals

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Not selling via Gumtree are you. That place is full of scammers who offer to arrange couriers. Then they clear your bank account. Lots of threads on here about it.
Be careful if you ar

I'm selling on Gumtree but this particular buyer contacted me through Ebay. To be honest, I'd rather they just collect in person. Sending it to someone is a very very last resort. Its too much hassle and there is the risk of scammers too.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
I'm selling on Gumtree but this particular buyer contacted me through Ebay. To be honest, I'd rather they just collect in person. Sending it to someone is a very very last resort. Its too much hassle and there is the risk of scammers too.
If you have been paid in advance what does it matter to post it if you have covered costs?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have seen a bike which had the rear derailleur broken off (by airport baggage handlers) so I would remove the mech from the frame, cover it in bubble wrap, and tape it safely out of the way inside the frame.

I would also put spacers between the fork ends, and between the rear dropouts.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have seen a bike which had the rear derailleur broken off (by airport baggage handlers) so I would remove the mech from the frame, cover it in bubble wrap, and tape it safely out of the way inside the frame.

I would also put spacers between the fork ends, and between the rear dropouts.

If organised, hopefully a fresh box from an LBS would come with some packing material.
Bike boxes are pretty large and awkward and not easy to transport without a large vehicle (won’t fit in my Fabia estate unless squashed and folded)

Top Bottom