Potholes - worth claiming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

The OP may find the Council contact his car insurers and inform them of the incident - thus raising his premium. They (the Councils) use every trick in the book to avoid paying out.
I saw a massive pothole in Cambridge last week, and walked to the location to take photos. On the return walk I saw a car parked with a gash in its tyre caused by the pothole. I sent a photo to Cambridge CC and this was their response:-

Cambridgeshire County Council Highways Report XXXXXXX has been closed
Thank you for contacting Cambridgeshire County Council.

We are pleased to confirm that work has been ordered to address this issue which will be carried out within 12 weeks.

This was what I'd sent them:-

Description of fault: about 750mm round looks VERY deep and there is debris on the pavement suggesting it is very deep. Yesterday I saw a car in the NISA carpark and the tyre was burst by this hole. Someone WILL be KILLED if riding a bike or motorbike THIS NEEDS FIXING IMMEDIATELY. Your reporting methods are unacceptable I cannot waste an hour on the phone trying to report. If it is not fixed by Friday I will be informing Police to get road closed!

Their response was from a 'no reply' email, so I couldn't send a reply to them.
Incensed, I telephoned the police on 101, who said it was unlikely they would send an officer to look at the defect. I said under the RTA the Council are legally obliged to maintain the roads, and therefore would the Police prosecute. They said 'we have a relationship with the Council', and I asked him to explain what he meant, but of course he wouldn't.
I've never seen such terrible roads as in Cambridge.

Attachments

• CH hole.JPG
    CH hole.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 7
I have tried using generalised website that take the report and forward it onto the correct counsel for you
Seems to be great if you don;t know which counsel it is - which could be the case if you are in a strange area

However it does sometimes seem to take ages before you get any report back - which suggests the actual report to the counsel - which is what counts - may take a while to get registered

I have had far better result locally by going direct to the counsel - which is also easier because I have a better idea of where the boundaries are and I am used to the different reporting methods

All uphill

Still rolling along
In contrast to much of the above I have reported potholes to our council and always had a quick response; hole outlined in orange paint and patched within a couple of weeks.

I've not had cause to make a claim.

Fastpedaller

I've tried reporting 'dangerous, liable to cause injury' potholes to Cambridge County Council and they just immediately 'close' the report from a noreply email. Their website says report to them or police. I then report to the Cambs Police in desperation. Today Police said it's the Council's job and were dismissive. I suggested they get a patrol to have a look and they'll probably be coning off the section of road. I had to get quite firm and mention national press to even get some sort of reasoned response. I'm getting quite despairing of the state of the Country. ETA. 8 reports of potholes (maybe some duplicates of the same hole, but there ARE many) at the area (a roundabout) going back over a month. One crater is so big if a car wheel went down it the car body would be grounded.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I've tried reporting 'dangerous, liable to cause injury' potholes to Cambridge County Council and they just immediately 'close' the report from a noreply email. Their website says report to them or police. I then report to the Cambs Police in desperation. Today Police said it's the Council's job and were dismissive. I suggested they get a patrol to have a look and they'll probably be coning off the section of road. I had to get quite firm and mention national press to even get some sort of reasoned response. I'm getting quite despairing of the state of the Country. ETA. 8 reports of potholes (maybe some duplicates of the same hole, but there ARE many) at the area (a roundabout) going back over a month. One crater is so big if a car wheel went down it the car body would be grounded.

Go along to a council meeting or the surgery of the councillor(s) with responsibilities relating to transport
https://democracy.cambridge.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=475
or write to the Chief Constable

icowden

Veteran
One of the benefits of an EV that I hadn't realised is that they tend to have much bigger tyres than ICE cars, which makes them a bit better with potholes. That said, because the tyres are big, there is no spare - just a sealant kit.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One of the benefits of an EV that I hadn't realised is that they tend to have much bigger tyres than ICE cars, which makes them a bit better with potholes. That said, because the tyres are big, there is no spare - just a sealant kit.

And aren't proper Tesla tyres about £300 exch?

icowden

Veteran
And aren't proper Tesla tyres about £300 exch?
Probably. And they often only last 6 years. The ID4's Bridgestones aren't cheap either. Just long lasting.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Probably. And they often only last 6 years. The ID4's Bridgestones aren't cheap either. Just long lasting.

I expect you can get decent tyres to fit a Tesla from the other makers and at a similar price to your Bridgestones.

Dragging this back on topic, the Tesla tyres are designed to improve the range of the vehicle, but there is a cost in terms of fragility - so avoid those potholes.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've tried reporting 'dangerous, liable to cause injury' potholes to Cambridge County Council and they just immediately 'close' the report from a noreply email. Their website says report to them or police. I then report to the Cambs Police in desperation. Today Police said it's the Council's job and were dismissive.
It is the council or relevant highway authorities job. The police will - or should - report them using the same public online web page the public would use.

The police won't close the road unless it's washed away or there's a sinkhole, a serious danger, and having done so using police powers have to leave personnel there. They don't have the power to do so simply on the basis of poor maintenance. It's up to each driver to drive in a manner that befits the road conditions...which is a bit crap because that means driving through some 60mpg zones round here at 20. Nevertheless, If people don't drive in that manner that's their problem, not the Dibbles.

icowden

Veteran
I expect you can get decent tyres to fit a Tesla from the other makers and at a similar price to your Bridgestones.
Dragging this back on topic, the Tesla tyres are designed to improve the range of the vehicle, but there is a cost in terms of fragility - so avoid those potholes.
Almost certainly. Tesla tyres are not fragile. They are tougher than normal tyres.

Fastpedaller

It is the council or relevant highway authorities job. The police will - or should - report them using the same public online web page the public would use.

The police won't close the road unless it's washed away or there's a sinkhole, a serious danger, and having done so using police powers have to leave personnel there. They don't have the power to do so simply on the basis of poor maintenance. It's up to each driver to drive in a manner that befits the road conditions...which is a bit crap because that means driving through some 60mpg zones round here at 20. Nevertheless, If people don't drive in that manner that's their problem, not the Dibbles.

In this case there is a serious danger - any car hitting that hole will find the car bodywork embedded in the road! A motorcyclist could be killed. All very well to say 'drive in a manner that befits the conditions' but any motorcyclist (or motorist) crossing what they think is a puddle can't drive at 3MPH in case it's a deep pothole or swerve violently into the car beside them. A few weeks ago we were having to swerve to avoid deep potholes on the M11 - we weren't driving at 25MPH just in case there were potholes - none had been seen in the 10 miles prior since leaving home. Driving along a motorway at a vastly reduced speed will create it's own hazard........ i guess you'll say the other motorists should allow for the 25MPH motorist, but I'm being pragmatic.

I pothole are not being fixed and you live in the area then I would write (OK email or something else new fangled!) to your local counsellor - or go to one of the surgeries

I have had good reactions from doing this - however the local lot do seem to react to reports from their website - well actually emails to the address specified on the website but anyway

I believe that the Local Authority does have a legal oblogation to have a reporting mechanism stated on their website
somewhere
in some cases finding it can be changing but it is better than flying over your handlebars I suppose!

dicko

Guru
I use FixMyStreet app to report pot holes. I have used it for about ten years now and it does really work. I have personally reported over fifty pot holes both to Lincolnshire CC and to Derbyshire CC. I can thoroughly recommend you to download the app and get reporting.

Top Bottom