Potholes - worth claiming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After a recent traumatic event on M6 in the roadworks near J22 I’ve just had confirmation that National Highways/contractors will pay my claim for a new tyre 🎉

Just shows it’s worth the hassle (answering the same questions and completing multiple similar forms) of putting a claim in.

As an aside, I strongly recommend run-flat tyres. Wouldn’t have ended so well without IMHO

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I got paid out many years ago when a pothole mid corner destroyed a front tyre.

The other point is that if you see a pothole it is worth reporting it

If it has never been reported by anyone then the counsel can get away with refusing the claim in some cases
Once it is reported they have to inspect it and, if it is above some guidelines, get it fixed within a certain timescale.

I think

Oh - and - to report it try the counsel website - or, if you are not sure which counsel - use fix-my-street.co.uk which will work it out for you once you tell them where it is
I find going direct to the counsel gets quicker results!

Right - that's my good deed for the day done - back to being a grumpy old man

Jody

Stubborn git
FOI to the council. If it's been reported you should get paid out. If not it will turn into a battle that you may win depending on your local authority.

A lot now have full time legal squads to fend off claims

FOI to the council. If it's been reported you should get paid out. If not it will turn into a battle that you may win depending on your local authority.

A lot now have full time legal squads to fend off claims

Some have decided it costs less to pay the few claims that come in than to fix the pothole
worth trying anyway - does depend on the counsel

Jody

Stubborn git
Some have decided it costs less to pay the few claims that come in than to fix the pothole

I've only had to deal with a claim once and our local authority was very difficult.

Luckily the alloy manufacturer gave me a full set of brand new rims of my choice so decided not to pursue.

Mike_P

Guru
Bit of the opposite, I bust a tyre and alloy on a rock on the carriageway - wonder if I should have made a claim on the highway authority.

Alex321

Veteran
Bit of the opposite, I bust a tyre and alloy on a rock on the carriageway - wonder if I should have made a claim on the highway authority.

If it was a loose rock on the road, it isn't likely they would be liable. They are generally only liable for things which they knew about or should have known about, and haven't taken steps to rectify.

Gillstay

Über Member

I heard that some have so many claims they struggle to pay for the pothole repairs.

Esp where people drive round in the fashionable low profile tyres.

Drago

Legendary Member
I got some compo about 15 years ago when I hit a damaged road surface riding home at night, and ended up with a nasty dose of gravel rash requiring a local anaesthetic for the nurses to get the bits out, and several mobths of physio, and minor damage to my Pinnacle

Clearly the council lie through their teeth as the county council - as it was then - denied any knowledge of the collapsed surface and tried to ferk me off with the reasonable inspection period rubbish they try to hide behind. However, the local parish council said that was bollards and gleefully told me the date they had reported it to the CC, who had made the report and who they had spoken to. So I got my 4 grand but without an extremely helpful parish Councillor would have likely ended up in court over it.

I've heard that some councils are now spending so much on compo they are struggling to find the money to actually do any repairs. Still and all, the contractor that runs highways - usually Kier - sits in the middle and still takes a nice profit for themselves out the budget.

This reminds me. I used Fill That Hole to report a grid missing on an A road the other week and as far as I know - there's been no action.

I've reported various hazards before and had action the next working day - but that was directly on the local authority website.

Looking at the local authority site the missing grid was reported on the 18th march. I reported it on the 15th on the cycling UK website.

I think I'll go directly in future.

Top Bottom