Powdercoating a lugged framed bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Slightly nearer to HB than Tod, I'd say, roughly 2 miles along the A646 from HB, on the left heading in that direction.
Neighbour had his motorbike frame(Harley Davidson) repainted there. Following recomendations to use them.

He didn't like the setup of the insurance approved one.

classic33

Leg End Member
Saying as pleased as punch would be an understatement.

He found one fault before bringing it home, resprayed/recoated at no extra cost. He said but for the fact he'd to clear, for the insurance who wanted photo's, the work done, he'd not have bothered about the duller patch as it was covered by bodywork.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have an old pair of carbon fibre forks which I'd like to use on my singlespeed bike but they need repainting first. I was going to just spray them myself but maybe I'll get someone to pay for them to be done there as my Christmas present this year.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Is there no way to strap it to the bike?

Drago

Legendary Member
Book a morning off and walk it kver,mor get a cab. Wherever you take it, for powder coat, paint, chrome or gold leaf, you're gonna almost certainly take it there on a weekday.

The trouble with spraying in the cold is that moisture could be trapped underneath the paint you are applying. Condensation could form on to the cold metal surface whilst you are spraying. " Blooming" the whitish dull looking areas can also form within the paint. On some paint finishes this will eventually fade but on some it will remain. One way of preventing blooming is to use a" slow "thinner, but this is not possible with aerosol cans.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Another weirdness with powdercoat is that rust tends to get underneath and lift it; there's no primer sticking it to the metal, it's just a coating of melted polyester. I had this on a Brompton and on a Moulton (both powdercoat their frames). Can you tell I'm not a fan of powdercoat? Unfortunately the cost of a wet emamel respray has increased by about 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years, while cheap one-coat powdercoating is still around. However, a really good powdercoat with lacquer coat over decals is almost as much as a wet paint job, so you have to compare like with like.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Wouldn't help, no way of getting there when the wife's at work as she's got the car and I think plod might take a dim view of me putting a bike frame on the pillion seat of the bike.

You can get cycle carriers for motorbikes:

https://2x2cycles.com/product/moto-bicycle-rack/

YamahaBikeRackOpt.jpg

Top Bottom