Power Meter Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FMurray

Regular
Hi there,

Looking into purchasing a Power Meter for my road bike in the near future. Looking towards lower end of the market, so crank power meter. Specifically been looking at the 4iiii precision power meter.

My road bike is currently fitted with a FSA Gossamer bb30 crankset.

Looking for some guidance. Take it I couldn't keep the crankset and fit the 4iiii power meter as left crank? Would I need to swap out the FSA crankset for shimano 105 to fit that specific power meter? Anyone got any other suggestions?

Help a road bike newbie out!

Cheers

I use power tap pedal power meters. I’ve had them for a couple of years and I find them ideal as I can swap them from bike to bike.

si_c

Guru
4iii don't seem to do a version of their power meter for your crankset - nor do Stages - so it would look like a 105 crankset with power meter would be your best option if wanting crank based power. In that case you are looking at Crankset (£100), Power Meter (£300) and BB (£20) to upgrade.

At this point you may want to consider a pedal based power meter such as the Assioma Uno or Garmin Vector S as that will work out a little cheaper and be a lot less effort. Assuming of course you use road pedals and three bolt cleats on your shoes.

I have the 4iiii Precision power meter, and it's reliable, accurate and just works, I've not had to think about it since installing it, but then I use an MTB shoe system so a pedal based one wasn't an option.

OP
OP
F

FMurray

Regular
Cheers for your help. After some research and thought I reckon it would be much simpler and cost effective to go for pedal based power. Looked into the iq2 kickstarter campaign as well but that seems like a bit of a risk given the uncertainty!

OP
OP
F

FMurray

Regular
Cheers for your help. After some research and thought I reckon it would be much simpler and cost effective to go for pedal based power. Looked into the iq2 kickstarter campaign as well but that seems like a bit of a risk given the uncertainty!
The Garmin vector 3s seems to be quite hard to come by? I am finding the upgrade pedal available almost everywhere but they do not stock the single sided power meter option?

Are they out of production?

i thought this one would work
https://store.stagescycling.com/Stages-Power-L-FSA-SL-K-BB30

it says it is compatabile with ALL FSA BB30's. Pricey , Tredz have a 170mm for 429 quid. I just bought a 4iii 105 at 229 for my turbo bike.
I don't have personal experienceof the FSA stages though.
( I have quarg Sram on the road bike, Stages sram on the Mtb and Praxis on the CX) The quarg is the most reliable and consistent with best battery life , virtually identical with the Praxis , the 4iii I have only just started using. The stages has a shite battery life and can come up with some silly top power readings ( no I cant put out 2,000 watts you silly meter) however the avg power readings are nearly exactly the same as the others.
I have a limits power meter in a drawer which is virtually useless and some of its readings are a complete fantasy, however seems to work the best on a aluminium crankset without washers, on a carbon crankset with washers it is a joke.

OP
OP
F

FMurray

Regular
i thought this one would work
https://store.stagescycling.com/Stages-Power-L-FSA-SL-K-BB30

it says it is compatabile with ALL FSA BB30's. Pricey , Tredz have a 170mm for 429 quid. I just bought a 4iii 105 at 229 for my turbo bike.
I don't have personal experienceof the FSA stages though.
( I have quarg Sram on the road bike, Stages sram on the Mtb and Praxis on the CX) The quarg is the most reliable and consistent with best battery life , virtually identical with the Praxis , the 4iii I have only just started using. The stages has a shite battery life and can come up with some silly top power readings ( no I cant put out 2,000 watts you silly meter) however the avg power readings are nearly exactly the same as the others.
I have a limits power meter in a drawer which is virtually useless and some of its readings are a complete fantasy, however seems to work the best on a aluminium crankset without washers, on a carbon crankset with washers it is a joke.

I have seen the 4iiii for 229 which seems like a great deal. And if I could pick up a 105 crank set for say £100 then that seems like it would be a cheaper option than any pedal based power meter.

Not familiar with changing crank sets though, is it as simple as just swapping over? Have realised over the first couple months of getting into cycling it's not usually just that simple

Its not a simple job to change form FSA or SRAM BB30 to shimano as the shimano is 24mm axle, the FSA etc is 30mm. I am sure there is a daptor out there to suit like this
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...oSjO4KqMtvpFdTy51aR_WYxyo89dJz6RoCDZMQAvD_BwE

Oh just another note, the crankset does not even have to be 105, I am using a older cheaper FC-R600 crankset with the4iii works fine, it even fits on my partners shimano MTB M8000 crankset. So will probably work with a secondhand ultegra etc, whatever you can get your hands on.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have an Avio Powersense which on my Carbon BB30 SLK crank is a total random number generator, so much so I have stopped using it. I am waiting for either the pedal based Garmin Vector 4 to be announced or for the IQ Square to be a proven solution with a firm delivery date (these guys have caused more let downs than any puncture fairy).

I have an Avio Powersense which on my Carbon BB30 SLK crank is a total random number generator, so much so I have stopped using it. I am waiting for either the pedal based Garmin Vector 4 to be announced or for the IQ Square to be a proven solution with a firm delivery date (these guys have caused more let downs than any puncture fairy).
I'm liking my Powersense but as far as I'm aware it only works with shimano (which I have). If I delve into the power meter market again I think giving my experience of the Favero Be ProS I'd go for the Favero Assimoa S. The IQ2's look tempting and initial reviews good but I'd want them to be more established before I ordered. I'd really like a power meter pedal that was non Look based though :okay:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm liking my Powersense but as far as I'm aware it only works with shimano (which I have). If I delve into the power meter market again I think giving my experience of the Favero Be ProS I'd go for the Favero Assimoa S. The IQ2's look tempting and initial reviews good but I'd want them to be more established before I ordered. I'd really like a power meter pedal that was non Look based though :okay:
I really wanted the Powersense to work out, small UK company taking on the big boys and all that, plus a great price. However, it seems they were far too confident in their abilities and made promises they could not keep. I still hope it works out for them, but they have gone very quiet and I know they have lost some members of the team. IQ2 have consistently let people down too, but at least they went via Kickstarter so you know up front that it is a total gamble, although the product did change from a 'spacer' to an actual pedal. I too would love a Shimano cleat, but it looks like there are still a few years until the SPD-SL patent runs out. I get a healthy discount with Garmin so Vectors make sense, I may get lucky and they may license SPD-SL from Shimano for the Vector 4.

Top Bottom