Power meter, smart trainer reliabilty?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stumpy66

Veteran
I’ve been using the PowerTap c1 power meter which is their chainring based PWR meter for the last two years. About a year in the meter stopped transmitting and it was replaced under warranty after a 4 week wait, now the replacement has stopped working. I’ve contacted PowerTap but as it’s out with the two year warranty I’m expecting to be left with a rather expensive and useless paperweight.

I use TrainerRoad and really enjoy the structure of the PWR based plans, I’ve used their virtual PWR option but it doesn’t appear to be very accurate and I have to significantly reduce the workout intensity compared to using my PWR meter.

My question is what are folks experience with other brands of PWR meter or smart trainers, I don’t particularly want to have to shell out for another meter that has poor reliability like the PowerTap units I’ve had.

I don't know if my left sided pedal PM (Be Pro S) under reads as my right is more dominant but it is a bit below my TR Virtual Power; I guess it doesn't matter about imbalance, as it predicts of a central flywheel (direct drive Elite Muin) but then again its only a prediction. The important thing is that VP seemed reliable ride to ride and if you dont want to have a PM outside its a good training tool.

ibooij

Über Member
I have been using a Power2Max classic power meter since 2011. It has never needed servicing. I'm using it both on the trainer and outside. I was so happy with this power meter that I've bought a 2nd one, a P2M Type-S, in 2015. I've also never had any problems with that one.

OP
OP
stumpy66

stumpy66

Veteran
I have been using a Power2Max classic power meter since 2011. It has never needed servicing. I'm using it both on the trainer and outside. I was so happy with this power meter that I've bought a 2nd one, a P2M Type-S, in 2015. I've also never had any problems with that one.
That’s good to know, will have a look into them, is there a uk supplier?

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
That’s good to know, will have a look into them, is there a uk supplier?

I’ve had a power2max ng for a year and it’s faultless. I did a bit of research before I bought it and I couldn’t find any negative reviews. You buy direct from Germany but the customer service is excellent.

I’m stating the obviuos probably but because it’s a crank based system it makes it harder to switch between bikes.

OP
OP
stumpy66

stumpy66

Veteran
Thanks will need to contact them to see what one is suitable for a shimano based system. I only use it on my old bike I have permanently set up on the turbo.
Thanks

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Thanks will need to contact them to see what one is suitable for a shimano based system. I only use it on my old bike I have permanently set up on the turbo.
Thanks

If there’s a chance that you’ll also use it on your real world bike (and I’d highly recommend you do). Have a think about which type of PM is best suited to your needs. If both bikes use the same type of crank arm then that helps with regards crank based pm’s. But if not there is loads of choice now.

uclown2002

Guru
P1.jpg I've got a set of Powertap P1 dual pedals for sale. Only had them since October 2017, and only indoors on a turbo. Great power meter with a great reputation. Readings closely match my Tacx Neo. Looking for £600; PM if interested.

Top Bottom