POWER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
All the other forums seem to have power training thread.

Do we have enough power meter owners on here to have a discussion of our own?

Just testing water really...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I can think of 5 forum users (including myself), I think, who use power meters.

Nosaj

I would have one tomorrow if they cost as much as say a Garmin 800/810 but I just can't justify circa 1.5k. to myself let alone the Mrs. - that's a good winter training bike or large payment towards a decent TT bike.

But would be very interested to read the thread

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I would have one tomorrow if they cost as much as say a Garmin 800/810 but I just can't justify circa 1.5k. to myself let alone the Mrs. - that's a good winter training bike or large payment towards a decent TT bike.

But would be very interested to read the thread
Power2Max on FSA Gossamer cranks(requires chainrings) = £731 at todays exchange rate

Hard to beat, will be buying this exact one when financials allow.

S1mon

Power2Max on FSA Gossamer cranks(requires chainrings) = £731 at todays exchange rate

was looking at same ones but by the time id bought chain rings etc was close on 1k again so my lbs did me an amazing deal on an quarq elsa at 1150 yes i know over 1k but i love it

S1mon

nope but needed bottom bracket as well and i wasnt putting cheap rubbish on a 2k frameset with di2

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
With second hand powertaps going for a couple of hundred on the bay, there's little excuse for those who want to train with power to blame costs.

Nosaj

Tempting but I was hoping to have something that I could swap between bikes fairly swiftly so was looking at the pedal systems Garmin Vector is close but its still £1,150 (albeit I am sure that it was £1,350 when I last looked) heading in the right direction but still outside my "just about justifiable" range

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
nope but needed bottom bracket as well and i wasnt putting cheap rubbish on a 2k frameset with di2
Indeed, particularly if you go for something like the praxis which non-permanantly reduces BB30 frames to 24mm Hollowtech compatible.

Tempting but I was hoping to have something that I could swap between bikes fairly swiftly so was looking at the pedal systems Garmin Vector is close but its still £1,150 (albeit I am sure that it was £1,350 when I last looked) heading in the right direction but still outside my "just about justifiable" range

Provided all bikes have the same BB(or a converter like a praxis) it takes little time (10mins? with practice) http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/power2max-power-meter-in-depth-review.html

ps: If you have BB30 or GXP BB Merlin have quarqs for £999

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned

Honestly, the Vector has been coming such a long time. There's clearly a huge problem witht that system.

Why not go the tried and tested and reliable and CHEAP route.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you only want to train with power, powertap is a good option, I opted for a Quarq because I wanted to train and race with power. With the Quarq, I can use it with any and all of my wheels and swap it between road and TT bike within 5 minutes.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I had a bigger headache as I race road, cross and MTB. Ended up going with G3 which covers (virtually) all my training, and road racing. And I guess the occasional cross race when tubs aren't needed.

Am now saving up for a second powertap, that will sit on a tubular wheel. May ended with a 26 powertap wheel as well, if I get lucky on the bay one day. But TBH I get enough data from just the one system, and power is not that useful in cross or MTB races from a pacing perspective, it's more of an analytical nice-to-have.

Top Bottom