Pre 100km food?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benthedoon

On Saturday I have a 50 miler (I intend to stretch it out to 62) what are good pre distance foods? Day before or night before and first thing on ride day.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Porridge oats soaked overnight in skimmed milk with a spoonful of honey to sweeten if required.

compo

Veteran
I wouldn't be experimenting with foods a couple of days before an event. Just keep it simple and what you are used to. Experiment when you are not on an event.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Another porridge fan here. I slice up a banana and add it and have recently taken to adding a small handful of raisens also. I probably wouldn't bother worrying about any kind of specific food the night before, for a 62 miler. Maybe if it was getting on for a ton.

Porridge before hand and take a bag of jelly babies, a couple of bananas and a small bar of chocolate and eat before you get hungry on the Ride.

dont forget to drink too.

depending on where you're riding, you can always top up en route

Last one (and first one!) I did it was a bowl of weetabix before - it was enough, though I was bloody starving at the end!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Follow compos advice and stick to what your used to.

If you like Pasta then it is recognised as a good slow energy release food suitable for the day before. On the ride a mix of sweet stuff and savoury is good. too much sweet stuff seems to make me feel a bit weird after a while.

A few slices of pizza are nice potato is good energy food. Anything will do really but dont experiment onn a ride that is longer than normal for you.I like salted peanuts but take care if eating while riding, I have heard of people choking on nuts.

Energy gels are great to give you a spurt of energy but despite the outlandish advertising claims I find they wear off very quickly .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
pasta based meal the night before , then porridge with sulatanas for brekkie .

Couple of bidons dependant on weather and how hard your cycling, a cake stop for coffee + cake if its a social ride .For a 50 miler solo i would probably take an energy bar or 2 as well depending on how hard i am pushing it.
Cash just in case you have to pop into a shop for cola + choccie boost !

Top Bottom