Pre-Packed Fruit & Veg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'll take back what I posted about veg being plentiful here: I was in Aldi today, right enough cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers were rationed to 3 a customer. Apart from the empty cucumber slot, there were still tomatoes and peppers on the shelves.
I didn't want any, but I picked a dozen bananas (3 shelves full).
The cashier said he could only sell me 3 bananas, because there is a shortage of vegetables.
I'm sure he misunderstood the banana situation, but I wasn't going to argue with the boy :laugh:
@Reynard here root vegetables (and Spanish broccoli!) are still very cheap.
Cauliflower's price varies from 95p (Aldi) to 1.25 (Tesco).

How come this is only affecting the UK? No problems here in Holland and from what I've heard from friends and colleagues in Germany, France and Belgium, no problems there either.

Do you think that's just people panic buying?

It wouldn't surprise me. I've a friend who works the tills and another friend who is the main honcho in the F&V dept, and they both said that they were fully-stocked this morning. Lots of gaps on the shelves, not just in fresh produce.

Having said that, it *is* market day, which tends to be busier anyways. But if you wanted fruit & veg on the market, you had to pony up double what Tesco are asking for the same thing.

I'll take back what I posted about veg being plentiful here: I was in Aldi today, right enough cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers were rationed to 3 a customer. Apart from the empty cucumber slot, there were still tomatoes and peppers on the shelves.
I didn't want any, but I picked a dozen bananas (3 shelves full).
The cashier said he could only sell me 3 bananas, because there is a shortage of vegetables.
I'm sure he misunderstood the banana situation, but I wasn't going to argue with the boy :laugh:
@Reynard here root vegetables (and Spanish broccoli!) are still very cheap.
Cauliflower's price varies from 95p (Aldi) to 1.25 (Tesco).

Cauliflowers in Tesco are 95p each here, but they're tiddly. Like single portion tiddly. Not that there were many of them left. Almost no cabbages either, half a dozen each of white and red, with no savoy, pointy or spring greens to be had.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Tesco in Ely was picked clean of eggs and most fruit & veg today, though I did get the oranges, bananas, grapes, celery, onions and peppers that I wanted. Albeit the latter was the penultimate pack in the shop, and they've gone up massively in the last fortnight.

Enough to be had on the market however, but the prices are more than double - £1.10 for a kilo of carrots, and £2.50 for a cauliflower for example.
Do you think that's just people panic buying?
Possibly - I was in the same Tesco on Monday* and, from what I can remember, it looked as well stocked as any normal supermarket - but that was before the news outlets made a big thing of shortages.

*long wait for a train so I went for a walk into town and picked up a sarnie & some bananas on the way back

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Having said that, it *is* market day, which tends to be busier anyways. But if you wanted fruit & veg on the market, you had to pony up double what Tesco are asking for the same thing.

I rarely shop in a supermarket and as most of their fruit and veg is priced per pack and I buy loose from shops where it's priced per pound (or kilo) I admit that I've little idea about which is cheaper. I know that one of our local fruit shops is dearer than the other but it does tend to have better quality stuff and a better variety.

Sadly our market is just about dead and doesn't have any fruit and veg stalls.

Possibly - I was in the same Tesco on Monday* and, from what I can remember, it looked as well stocked as any normal supermarket - but that was before the news outlets made a big thing of shortages.

*long wait for a train so I went for a walk into town and picked up a sarnie & some bananas on the way back

It's had its problems off and on with stock, though I suspect it's no better or worse than any other store of the same size.

The hot deli / cooked chicken counter is closing though :cry:

I rarely shop in a supermarket and as most of their fruit and veg is priced per pack and I buy loose from shops where it's priced per pound (or kilo) I admit that I've little idea about which is cheaper. I know that one of our local fruit shops is dearer than the other but it does tend to have better quality stuff and a better variety.

Sadly our market is just about dead and doesn't have any fruit and veg stalls.

A lot of stuff in the supermarket *is* priced per kilo, though sometimes it's hidden in the small print. Failing that, I'm the mad woman who you'll see weighing the packet and then doing the maths to see where the value is... :whistle:

Admittedly the market here is a bit shite as well. Two fruit & veg stalls today, but both expensive and not terribly inspiring. Daft, considering we're bracketed by market gardens to the north and south.

I did buy a good bit of veg from a chap in the village who grew stuff as a hobby, but he's in his 90s and has packed it in this year.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No problems with fruit and veg here (bugger) but no almond croissants 😳. Luckily these apple crumble danish were available.

46E07672-A45F-4760-A58A-BDCF72BDC67C.jpeg

vickster

Legendary Member
Checked my car battery on Wed and this afternoon. I drove last Saturday and checked voltage Sunday morning. The Sunday morning voltage was higher than Wed and today. But I’ve read something about rested voltage and waiting 24 hrs after driving (or charging) I hadn’t. The voltage Wed and today are the same and looks like it’s the rested voltage and above 12V. Seems the solar panel trickle charger is working and maintaining charge. Car will now only go places with a purpose more than just keeping battery charged. Should get money back on cost of Solar charger within a few months 👍

Which has what to do with fruit and veg packaging?

Top Bottom