predictions for the quarter finals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
darkstar said:
Never say never...
never

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Meh, being away
Uruguay (already through)
Ghana (altready through)
England
Argentina
Slovakia
Brazil
Paraguay
Portugal

marinyork

Flying_Monkey said:
It is pretty obvious which side has been better today. To anyone who is neutral in the matter.

Germany have been better but this is for a place in the quarter finals of the world cup. They haven't really been good enough for that. As I was saying in the other thread the standard by a lot of the major nations has been so bad they might as well have just bypassed the second round.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
England, France and Italy have been poor and Spain are taking a while to wake up. But the overall standard is far better than in previous years, when you could be pretty certain who would qualify and there were obvious 'minor sides' and 'upsets'. I am not sure there is such a thing as a genuine upset any more, except in the most extreme encounters. International football is becoming more equal and unpredictable, and this is a thoroughly good thing. South Korea and Japan are not consistently good not just a 'surprise'. The USA offer far more of a challenge. And you could pick any South American side and they'd give any of the Europeans trouble.

marinyork

Flying_Monkey said:
England, France and Italy have been poor and Spain are taking a while to wake up. But the overall standard is far better than in previous years, when you could be pretty certain who would qualify and there were obvious 'minor sides' and 'upsets'. I am not sure there is such a thing as a genuine upset any more, except in the most extreme encounters. International football is becoming more equal and unpredictable, and this is a thoroughly good thing. South Korea and Japan are not consistently good not just a 'surprise'. The USA offer far more of a challenge. And you could pick any South American side and they'd give any of the Europeans trouble.

This trends you bang on about have happened for the last 10 years. You seem to be stuck about 10 years in the past for some very odd reason and digging out football cliches.

England, France, Italy have been poor as have Cameroon, Nigeria, Denmark. Spain have been average as have Portugal, Netherlands, Greece, Mexico and Brazil. Various other sides have had some good games for them and some bad games but a lot of that is down to experience (and in other cases not). I've watched plenty of the games at this world cup and previous world cups and apart from the vuvuzela's and England's very bad performances it has genuinely been a low standard tournament so far - perhaps the 94' tournament coming close. The upside to this is there has been entertainment.

How many of these players play in Europe though. Chile were the first side I watched who looked different and had players I didn't recognise. Apart from that all of the games look familiar and the teams play to a similiar pattern and pace.

marinyork

Crackle said:
How many of these players play in Europe though. Chile were the first side I watched who looked different and had players I didn't recognise. Apart from that all of the games look familiar and the teams play to a similiar pattern and pace.

The joy of and diversity of south american football though. It's always been that good just they have underperformed in previous world cups (yes I'm aware that Brazil have won 5 world cups, argentina 2 and uruguay 2 in the distant past).

If the last two groups hadn't ended up like they had one could theoretically had brazil v spain and chile v portugal and three to five south american sides making the quarter finals (i.e. I'd have fancied Chile v Portugal).

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
marinyork said:
You seem to be stuck about 10 years in the past for some very odd reason and digging out football cliches.

The last time you accused me of peddling cliche you were simply wrong (on Germany) - you could start by admitting that. And you are out of order here too. Stick to the argument you are making (which is a valid one, although I disagree with it).

marinyork

Flying_Monkey said:
The last time you accused me of peddling cliche you were simply wrong (on Germany) - you could start by admitting that. And you are out of order here too. Stick to the argument you are making (which is a valid one, although I disagree with it).

I didn't go round saying something was bollocks when regurgitating the timeless germans one generation vs the next and 'younger' and people leaving that they do periodically. They are past masters at it. At least get some variety in it?

Funnily enough it's highly applicable to the situation England are in post this world cup/had they gone any further which was of interest.

Top Bottom