Premium bonds v ISA?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I got my notification this afternoon, its always quicker to check yourself ^_^
Or use the app.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Update:

Our PB's are nearly a year old and thus far have returned a derisory sub 1%.

Compared to (over the same time frame) :

AJ Bell S&S ISA 8.35%

Vanguard S&S ISA 10.05%

Aviva Personal Pension fund 17.7% of which 9.2% is real growth with the balance being Post-Covid bounce back.

Various Cash ISA's & FRB's 2.21%

PK99

Legendary Member
PBs another £50 this month. That makes 0.9% for the year 2021. Not as good as my share portfolio (although no heart-stopping fall in value last week) but better than my cash savings

If you invest in shares you are investing for the long run - ignore short-term fluctuations.

vickster

Legendary Member
No PB payout for me this month :sad:

Vanguard ISAs have dipped below 14% due to Omnicron wobbles but can't complain (not that I need to use the money)

SpokeyDokey

PBs another £50 this month. That makes 0.9% for the year 2021. Not as good as my share portfolio (although no heart-stopping fall in value last week) but better than my cash savings

We still moved forward for the month by a fair chunk although fair chunk would've been a decent chunk if not for Omicron jitters.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Even more laughable are the NS&I Green Bonds at 0.65% for 3 years.

Why would anyone go for that deal when 2% is readily available over that time frame?
Just look at some of the high street bank rates - Santander offers a pitiful 0.1% on a 2 year ISA or 0.5% on a 3 year fixed rate bond for example, and others are at around the same level. Even Saga offer 0.5% on an easy access savings acount with no need to lock away the money.

SpokeyDokey

Just look at some of the high street bank rates - Santander offers a pitiful 0.1% on a 2 year ISA or 0.5% on a 3 year fixed rate bond for example, and others are at around the same level. Even Saga offer 0.5% on an easy access savings acount with no need to lock away the money.

Not quite understanding the point of your post tbh. Sorry.

The Green Bonds are 3 years fixed term and my point was that this is easily beaten with 2% ish currently freely available elsewhere .

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not quite understanding the point of your post tbh. Sorry.

The Green Bonds are 3 years fixed term and my point was that this is easily beaten with 2% ish currently freely available elsewhere .
I was backing up your observation about the low rates on fixed term bonds/ISAs offered by some of the major players.

Top Bottom