Premium bonds v ISA?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Second £25 this year.

Still the sickly runt of our various investments but we are giving it a full year to see how it goes.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As, I think, others have said above, you need to be specific about the type of ISA, ie, cash of stocks and shares.

IMHO, Cash ISA is pointless now, very few people pay tax on interest earned, and, interest earned is paltry.

Stocks and Shares ISA, you have the opportunity for income (dividends) and capital growth, but, there is a risk, it can also be Capital Loss, and zero return.

Premium Bonds. It is a form of lottery, where you do not lose your stake (except by depreciation/inflation).

We have Stocks and Shares ISAs, which last year paid out about 4% and held their Capital Value. Over same period, our PB's paid out about 1.5%, but, we had the monthly excitement of waiting for "the big one" (which didn't come). ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
£25 this month after a dud last month.
vanguard S&S back at 10.46% growth over last year. I’ve got 5k in another shares isa that did nothing that I might transfer across!

Tom...

Veteran
£25 this month after a dud last month.
vanguard S&S back at 10.46% growth over last year. I’ve got 5k in another shares isa that did nothing that I might transfer across!

Which Vanguard fund(s)/ETF(s) are you invested in? 10.46% is awfully low for the past year. Their Global All Cap Index Fund has returned circa 25%

vickster

Legendary Member
No idea what that means.
Mixed, low/medium risk
LifeStrategy® 40% Equity Fund and 20% Equity Fund

Mattk50

MattK50
Aside from my SIPP and emergency savings. A lot of my spare cash goes into my retirement wine cellar spread around london merchants. Makes a few quid sometimes on some resales plus I'll drink it all in retirement if the market ever tanks so that keeps a floor under any potential losses lol!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The more diversified your total pool of assets is, the more "average" your returns will tend to be. That comes down to personal mindset and risk appetite. The non interest bearing stuff like gold/wine/whisky/fine art etc, tends to be used as a hedge against low returns from conventional investments, and sometimes for tax efficiency.
My overriding aim when investing is to beat RPI inflation, so get a real terms increase in the value of my assets. So long as I'm overall in positive territory, I dont stress too much whether I could have made a fraction of a percent more by doing something differently.
If something is underwater I tend to look a bit more closely at it, but even then, sometimes bailing out when underwater is not the smartest strategy because any hitherto purely paper loss will become a real one.

vickster

Legendary Member
£75 on the PBs this month :okay:

Vanguard funds running at average return of 14.69% as of now.

I shifted £10k of a non returning cash ISA into another Vanguard fund. Up £59 in a week :laugh: (should be a bit better than the annual 0.75% (I think) return on the cash ISA). I shan't spend it all at once (although I have my eyes on a gravel bike) :whistle:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
£75 on the PBs this month :okay:

Vanguard funds running at average return of 14.69% as of now.

I shifted £10k of a non returning cash ISA into another Vanguard fund. Up £59 in a week :laugh: (should be a bit better than the annual 0.75% (I think) return on the cash ISA). I shan't spend it all at once (although I have my eyes on a gravel bike) :whistle:

Nice one!

Nothing on the PB's yet again!

Vanguard fund up 8.58% since Feb.

A J Bell fund up 6.76% since Feb.

Old Friends Life fund (100% commercial property based) up18% on Dec 2019 which is our pre pandemic reference point. Was concerned that this would crash for obvious reasons but it continues to climb.

Apart from our monthly funds drip feeds we have no more significant funds to reinvest until late 2022 when 3 fixed term Isa's finish.

We are currently thinking of dumping, some or all of them, subject to 180 day interest hits and transferring the monies to S&S Isa's.

As ever we are procrastinating scaredy cats!

What to do, what to do... 🙄

Top Bottom