Premium oil ? What do you use ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Following on from the fuel thread, I was researching the cost of a service kit for my lowly Astra and it occured to me...in some cases, £70 for a gallon of no doubt high quality oil. What sort of cars (exotics excluded) are these oils designed for ? Does anyone use them for more modest cars ?

Personally I tend to use Magnatec, it's often on offer really cheap, £18 for 4 ltrs, also tended to use Halfirds fully synthetic, that can be really good value when on offer.

Gunk

Guru
Unfortunately my Golf is on the long life service regime, the oil is about £18 a litre 😮

Smudge

Veteran
Its incredible how many different sorts of engine oils there is nowadays. Makes you think we're being ripped off.
I only have a 1.0L Focus, yet it apparently it needs fully synth. I dont even use fully synth in my motorcycles.

vickster

Legendary Member
I buy the cheapest I can get that has the car manufaturers quality specification code on the bottle. IMO this is more important to get right than the brand.
This. Click and collect From Eurocarparts with one of their numerous discount codes.
I'm guessing it gets something else when annually serviced by Skoda

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Asda 10w40, £11 for 5 litres. Have used it in 5 of my motorcycles over the years. I prefer to use cheap oil but change it earlier than recommended. Never had any problems

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
For vw/audi I use TPS which is their own branded spares company. Oils for my longlife dpf diesel car costs about £20 a gallon and is supplied against the chassis number so i know it is the right spec (but i always check anyway).

Milzy

Guru
Oil is Oil. If you're racing cars at a high level only then you will benefit from supiour oil which will stay cooler. Le mans 24 hour you need the best. The more expensive thinner synthetic oils may feel smooth but they burn off a lot quicker. Many Japenese cars need regular top ups.

johnnyb47

Guru
For my sins I've been using Home Bargains motor oil called Viscol. It costs around £10 for 4.5ltr.
It meets ACEA specs and is rebranded rock oil /Granville. My car takes around 6 litres of the stuff so it works out cheap enough. I usually do the oil changes myself every 5k and use a vacuum pump to change it. That means there's no clambering around underneath trying to undo the sump plug. Just run the car to temp to thin the oil and extract it through the dipstick pipe with the suction pump. What would cost around £80 at the garage inc filter, costs me under £30

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Used Motul and Fuchs for the Impreza...... Then sold a kidney lol.
Silkolene Pro S (as it used to be called) in my Clio Trophy and my RB320. Cheap for the best I could find. Just as tyres are the only point of contact between you and the road, oil is the only thing keeping bits of spinny metal from making contact with each other ^_^

By the way good oil doesn't keep things cooler, as previously stated, it is better able to maintain its integrity and operate at the temperatures that any oil would reach in a specific application.

Top Bottom