Preparing one's self for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
surfgurl said:
Work out what you need to take with you (clothes, lights, spare inner tube, lunch, keys etc) and then work out what kind of bag or panniers you will need. Me being a bit dim, got a bag first and then realised I couldn't fit everything in. I'm now on my third bag...

Equally well, figure out what you can leave at work - if you have a locker, take stuff in on Monday where you can, and then home only when it needs laundering.

OP
OP
nethalus

nethalus

surfgurl said:
Work out what you need to take with you (clothes, lights, spare inner tube, lunch, keys etc) and then work out what kind of bag or panniers you will need. Me being a bit dim, got a bag first and then realised I couldn't fit everything in. I'm now on my third bag...

LOL! Sounds like the sort of thing I'd do:smile:

OP
OP
nethalus

nethalus

John the Monkey said:
Equally well, figure out what you can leave at work - if you have a locker, take stuff in on Monday where you can, and then home only when it needs laundering.
;) Alas no lockers for me, bane of being a town driver:sad:

Nethalus,

Good stuff! Glad your thinking of crossing the divide.

Everyone else is giving good advice, but one thing I would like to add is:

Read Cyclecraft!! It is a great book which explains how cyclists can keep themselves safe on the road (that's why we take the centre of the lane sometimes ;))

In fact, because we know each other now, and as a gesture of good will I can send you a copy of the book of you like. It has just recently been updated so I have an older copy spare, so if you would like me to send you it (as a wee get well soon gift) then let me know.

Maybe once you start cycling you can back up my views on the bloodbus forum.... ;):smile:

Nethalus, have a look at a Decathlon store for well priced bikes, or there is of course sites like Gumtree where you can snap some nice bargains up - though be careful of second hand, you don't want to pick up a lemon.

Here are some very handy websites:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Between these two, everything to keep your bike happy and free rolling is contained. I would strongly recommend nipping out to Aldi / Lidl etc and picking up a set of allen keys, spanners and a screwdriver set for cheap.

Also remember to get a decent lock!

There are varying types of advise on locking your bike, Sheldon Brown has some good info on it. Personally if I were to chose only one lock I would go for a D-lock, and some lockable QR sqewers.

I would also recommend picking up a track pump - it will make keeping your tyres properly inflated a doddle, and that makes such a difference to the performance of your bike.

Clothing is also a big factor in comfort (I find, though I am a little wussy!) For anything over about 5miles I prefer to be wearing cycle shorts of some description. As prettyboytim said, a cycling jersey adds dramatically to comfort. I guess you can wear your bus drivers HV vest, but remember that if you wear a rucksack it will cover the vest, so an HV bag cover might be a good idea.

Finally, take Magnatom up on his offer of Cyclecraft - it will keep you safer than all the HV, lights, bells and helmets.

Tetedelacourse

As I've said before, it's difficult to take anything you say seriously Nethalus, but giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you're not talking out yer pipe, all you really need to begin with is a bike, time, some clothes that allow you to exercise, and a positive attitude.

All the rest helps but is largely superfluous to the act of getting from home to work by cycling. Especially over 3 miles. My advice would be give it a go and then assess whether you need more stuff.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I commuted 3.9 miles (so nearly 4!) for a year, and it was really quite easy - although I admit I was starting from a basis of some cycling fitness. Do a few practice runs - if necessary work up to it a mile at a time, but I think most people can do 3 or 4 miles, if they take it steady. Plan routes ( and perhaps plan more than one if you can. Variety can help to keep you keen)

Once you're doing the 4's happily, you can think about tackling the 10's. The main thing is not to force yourself too much, too quickly. If you feel the need to have days off because of stiff legs, do so. But once you're in a routine, it gets less and less necessary to chicken out.

I commuted in Ronhill Bikesters, which aren't too 'lycra', but comfortable, and ordinary t-shirts/fleeces. A decent waterproof jacket and maybe a pair of Rainlegs (waterproof chaps, keep your thighs dry) or waterproof trousers, and you're equippped for most things.

Also, get a decent lock, a good pump, and a small basic tool/repair kit (and if you don't know, learn how to use it!)

I would second the plug for Cyclecraft. I'm firmly of the opinion that a good cyclist makes a good driver and vice versa, and continuing to learn, from books and from experience, is an important part of that.

Finally, do everything you can to enjoy it! If you can say you enjoy your commute, you are making better use of your time than millions of people!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Every cycle commute uses your time three times as well as other ways of travelling.

You have the travel time anyway
Then you have the exercise time, which is time and money saved from having to go to the gym.
Then you have the enjoyment and pure love of cycling. It's literally the best way to start your day, fresh air, blood pumping, you feel king of the world.

I'd third the cyclecraft recommendation, it helped to take nearly all the stress out of my cycling because before I was too submissive and not used to cycling in UK conditions.

OP
OP
nethalus

nethalus

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Nethalus, have a look at a Decathlon store for well priced bikes, or there is of course sites like Gumtree where you can snap some nice bargains up - though be careful of second hand, you don't want to pick up a lemon.

Here are some very handy websites:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Between these two, everything to keep your bike happy and free rolling is contained. I would strongly recommend nipping out to Aldi / Lidl etc and picking up a set of allen keys, spanners and a screwdriver set for cheap.

Also remember to get a decent lock!

There are varying types of advise on locking your bike, Sheldon Brown has some good info on it. Personally if I were to chose only one lock I would go for a D-lock, and some lockable QR sqewers.

I would also recommend picking up a track pump - it will make keeping your tyres properly inflated a doddle, and that makes such a difference to the performance of your bike.

Clothing is also a big factor in comfort (I find, though I am a little wussy!) For anything over about 5miles I prefer to be wearing cycle shorts of some description. As prettyboytim said, a cycling jersey adds dramatically to comfort. I guess you can wear your bus drivers HV vest, but remember that if you wear a rucksack it will cover the vest, so an HV bag cover might be a good idea.

Finally, take Magnatom up on his offer of Cyclecraft - it will keep you safer than all the HV, lights, bells and helmets.

Thanks Jacomus and Magnatom. Some good sound advice there. I was thinking for the time being it might have to be a second hand bike, as being on the "pat and mick" money is a bit tight at the mo. Thanks also for the offer of the book Magnatom I'll PM you my details like.

Tetedelacourse

BentMikey said:
Every cycle commute uses your time three times as well as other ways of travelling.

Then you have the exercise time, which is time and money saved from having to go to the gym.
Then you have the enjoyment and pure love of cycling. It's literally the best way to start your day, fresh air, blood pumping, you feel king of the world.
I'd third the cyclecraft recommendation, it helped to take nearly all the stress out of my cycling because before I was too submissive and not used to cycling in UK conditions.

Literally better than a quickie on a hillside? Has similar description.

BentMikey said:

Absolutely. We just got a nice brand spanking new car yesterday. Oh you'd like to see it, oh go on then ;)
1469618426_29204404c9.jpg

Anyway, I could have taken the car in today, but why would I want to do that. Cycling gives you a sense of freedom that no car can. Even a nice brand new shiny one ;).

I'd chose my bike over the car any day, no matter what the weather was doing. In fact the bike can be great fun in the wind and rain. I just think of it as an extra workout!!

Send me your details nethalus and I will post the book on. I promise not to pass your details onto cab!:smile:

buggi

Bird Saviour
my commute is 17 miles each way. It was the furthest distance i had ever been on a bike so i did it on my MTB at the weekend first to see how i'd do. took me 1hr 25 so i then when to buy a road bike. (takes me about an hour on my roadie).

i clearly remember the first time i cycled to work for real. having not done much cycling in the months preceeding my decision, i got two mile from my house and thought "sh!t, i don't think i can do this, what the hell am i doing". but 20 mins into the ride, my heart rate seemed to settle into a nice rythym and i did it. i spent all day worrying about the hill on the way home that i had freewheeled down for what felt like an eternity. i didn't make it back up the hill on that first day, but have done everytime since (to this day it still hurts... it is my nemesis).

now i cycle about 3 times a week on average and even when i've had a break over the winter months it's never as hard as that first time i did it. so just go for it.

ps. everyone at work reckoned i'd never keep it up. that was four years ago ;)

OP
OP
nethalus

nethalus

buggi said:
my commute is 17 miles each way. It was the furthest distance i had ever been on a bike so i did it on my MTB at the weekend first to see how i'd do. took me 1hr 25 so i then when to buy a road bike. (takes me about an hour on my roadie).

i clearly remember the first time i cycled to work for real. having not done much cycling in the months preceeding my decision, i got two mile from my house and thought "sh!t, i don't think i can do this, what the hell am i doing". but 20 mins into the ride, my heart rate seemed to settle into a nice rythym and i did it. i spent all day worrying about the hill on the way home that i had freewheeled down for what felt like an eternity. i didn't make it back up the hill on that first day, but have done everytime since (to this day it still hurts... it is my nemesis).

now i cycle about 3 times a week on average and even when i've had a break over the winter months it's never as hard as that first time i did it. so just go for it.

ps. everyone at work reckoned i'd never keep it up. that was four years ago ;)
Hills and strong winds (and rain I suppose) are the biggest off puts I find to cycling. I can't think of any noticable hills that might cause me problems getting to and from work. But then you don't notice some inclines when driving a car but you certainly notice them when you are peddling.

Top Bottom