Preparing one's self for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
nethalus said:
Hills and strong winds (and rain I suppose) are the biggest off puts I find to cycling. I can't think of any noticable hills that might cause me problems getting to and from work. But then you don't notice some inclines when driving a car but you certainly notice them when you are peddling.

Don't be a pussy! If you are scared of a bit of weather then cycling is probably not for you. As for the hills, think of them as a bit of extra resistance training.

As others have said, allow your body the time to adapt if you are coming from a 'sofa monster' perspective. You will hurt to begin with, I highly recommend protein shakes made with semi skimmed milk before bed, you will sleep like a baby so get into a routine of going up early 'cos you could be sleeping for 10 or 11 hours a night to begin with. The extra boost of protein will help you to adapt quicker. Take the opportunity to examine your whole nutrition strategy while you're at it, if you are going to actually use your body then it needs to be fuelled optimally.

mmm... chocolate SIS REGO does the trick for me, lovely stuff, but a bit on the pricey side.

Or if I've had a really intensive ride / race I will drink a cup of SIS Nocte mmm... again tasty and makes me sleep like a log ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Apparently normal chocolate milk is just about as good as any of the expensive sports drinks equivalents. I love chocolate milk too, LOL!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Surely the best thing is to start off by only cycling if the weather is good?

Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with hating the wind and the rain. You just gradually find them less off-putting as you get fitter.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i absolutely love the rain. hate wind tho. but if it's hammering down with rain without any wind i love it. makes me feel alive.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch, your wrong, for the umpteenth time today!

Buggi, you're right.

Bentmikey, you're so wrong it is embarrassing. A decent protein shake will give you 40g of high quality whey protein plus whatever is in the milk you use. Please tell me how just the milk plus sugar and artificial flavour will be just as good?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
domtyler said:
Bentmikey, you're so wrong it is embarrassing. A decent protein shake will give you 40g of high quality whey protein plus whatever is in the milk you use. Please tell me how just the milk plus sugar and artificial flavour will be just as good?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370

There's lots on google about it, its quite a big deal in MTB circles at the moment :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
fossyant said:
Yeh, but..... you don't/shouldn't need protein drinks if just commuting.... or racing to be honest - get a good diet....

Why not? Are you an expert nutritionist? Are you saying that during periods when your body is changing and adapting to new levels of physical activity you should not ensure that you have an adequate protein intake? Does having an excess of protein do any harm? Does having too little do any harm? We should be told.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Arch said:
Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with hating the wind and the rain. You just gradually find them less off-putting as you get fitter.

I was dreading my first commute in rain, and nearly took the train that day instead. I figured I'd have to do it some time, and so rode in anyway. It wasn't so bad though - once you get going (and if you can keep going) the effort seems to keep you warm. A helmet with a visor helps (at least I find it does, keeps the worst of the rain off my glasses). Be confident handling your bike though, as road markings and ironwork is slippier in the wet (I felt my back wheel go this morning hitting a manhole cover, but was able to recover ok).

My raingear at the moment is a cheapo hi-vis jacket from Cycle Clothing UK (one of the Speg seconds) and an Aldi long sleeve jersey - I've not felt the need for overtrousers as yet, and have been ok in my Altura shorts.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Arch, your wrong, for the umpteenth time today!

Buggi, you're right.

Not fair! Why does Buggi get correct punctuation and I don't?

I don't see why I'm wrong. There IS nothing wrong with disliking wind and rain. Letting it rule your life, that is a bit daft. But you don't have to enjoy it. How come Buggi can say she hates the wind, and that's alright? Personally, I also don't mind rain, but I can see how some people dislike it.

Cab

I sometimes think it would be really cool fitting sails to a bike. That would make windy days way more fun.

bonj2

I don't cycle in the rain - unless it's only light rain. There's no point in making your life miserable for the sake of it.

bonj said:
I don't cycle in the rain - unless it's only light rain. There's no point in making your life miserable for the sake of it.

Bonj,

You won't be out cycling much then :biggrin:. Seriously though, skin is waterproof and one your wet, your wet. I can actually be a whole lot of fun.

The only negative is that you have to clean/lubricate the bike more than normal.

(P.S. so we won't be seeing any wet cycling videos then??:biggrin:)

Top Bottom