Prepping for food shortages

Are you stockpiling?

  • Yes

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No

    Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Considering this

    Votes: 3 12.0%

  • Total voters
    25
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
To be fair it's hardly panic baiting. No one is suddenly going to start prepping besause of a poll, and those people who have expressed that inclination have all been reasonable and sensible, nary a tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorising flat earther among them.
 

Exlaser2

Veteran
Foot, water, bog roll, blankets, means of heating food, EMP safe radios, batteries, blankets, weapons, NVGs. Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I also keep the camper well fuelled. In the event the gas fails heat g and possibly electric may also go down, and the webasto equipped camper can keep us warm and cook food for a couple of weeks. It also has 60 litre on board water supply that I keep fresh.
And if you lived in the middle of no where, it would be considered sensible and reasonable.
But you live in Northamptonshire ………. 😀
 

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Location
lost somewhere
I was really impressed by the TV footage of rugged Aussie frontier types fighting in the supermarket aisles over dwindling supplies of lavatory paper whenever the last shortage scare was. Anyway, whatever you choose to hoard, the most important thing to consider is fireproof storage containers. As HMG recently told us, spontaneously-combusting disposable barbeques are a serious risk.

Add a fire extinguisher to your list of must-haves.
 

VinSumRox

Über Member
Location
Scottish Borders
We live rurally so we tend to keep a reasonable stock of basics. We buy rice and dried stuff in biggish bags anyway. Got a wood burner and loads of wood, so can cook on that as well.
We have the MH which is a bacl up with gas and solar battery power. There is a wee burn nearby so water wouldn't be a problem, just have to boil it for drinking.
 
OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Squire
What good would the rice be if there's no fuel to cook it?
Unless you're like @fossyant who is into camping and have the gear already ^_^
Fuel shortage goes hand in hand with food shortages, obviously, for transport reasons.
Like someone said upthread, I always have loads in the freezer/cupboard that needs eating.
Some stuff I have plenty at all times anyway, like cat food, buy in bulk when it's on offer, or tomato tins for making sauces, or bread flour and yeast - not toilet paper though :laugh:
I'm not buying random tins because I don't like eating tinned food.
In case of shortages I can always find something to eat because I can cook from scratch, but if there's no power, what's the point ... just eat the stuff I have bulk cooked and portioned frozen ... eat it cold?? 🤪
Edited to add: I live very central, near half a dozen major supermarkets, plus I could cycle anywhere to get stuff!
I'm not clear if you read my opening post or not, your response suggests you didn't. You've jumped to conclusions.

My point was a simple one, we are in a "super" El Nino event. I didn't mention any other scenario, apocalypse or whatever. It is anticipated there could be reduced harvests and lower availability of some staples. Rice being a good example. For this reason I feel it's prudent to stockpile a very limited amount and range of foodstuffs in case there are shortages. For example I've bought five kilos of rice, +/- 6 months supply for me, and popped it in a cupboard. That's all.

I'll cook the rice on our gas hob. No problem. There is nothing to suggest El Nino will result in fuel shortages or no fuel. Other factors might but I wasn't discussing these as it would quickly become political.
 
OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Squire
No.
The last thing I need is a load of idiots on another round of panic buying, with no car I just can't compete with the ones stripping the shelves to fill up their Chelsea tractors.
No one, least of all me, was talking of panic buying. We get through about five kilos of rice in six months. I've purchased that. It's hardly a panic buy.

BTW I'm neither an idiot or 4 x 4 driver.
 
OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Squire
No, your individual reaction activity is your business.

Putting up a poll is what I'd describe as dog-whistle panic baiting. I did enough handstands in the shower during COVID to discourage this.
I'm interested to see easily if many folk are choosing to create a small stockpile of non-perishables that could be in short supply in 2027. A poll is a perfectly reasonable, easy way to gauge the response.

If you feel a simple question on a cycling forum is "dog-whistle panic baiting it says a lot more about you than me. A complete overreaction on your part.
 
OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Squire
I see one of the bigger challenges to prepping is water. Put water in a container and how long would you trust it for drinking untreated?

So reality is whilst food can be long term in freezer, tins or dry (buy once keep for ages) your water containers need emptying, cleaning and refilling fairly frequently. And you need a lot of water.
This happened to be covered in a R4 programme. Basically using food grade containers tap water can be stored for six months. Store at 10 - 21⁰ in a dry, dark place and stand on wooden pallets or similar to avoid contact with the floor and possible chemical leaching.

I should be clear I have no plans to stockpile water or drain any of Lancashire's very fine reservoirs.
 
Top Bottom