Prepping for food shortages

Are you stockpiling?

  • Yes

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No

    Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Considering this

    Votes: 4 12.5%

  • Total voters
    32
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'm also surrounded by foraging opportunities, a 13kg gas lasts 3 months and have 3 bottles, water is easy to come by here. I choose not to rely on the system and live simply, I can grow, make and repurpose things and not just endlessly buy new stuff. The majority of people are used to everything on demand or aren't old enough to remember a time before 24 hour shopping so probably might be inconvenienced by a large weather event. Remember walk in larders it was normal once.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
I may have spare brake pads, a cassette or two and spare wheels for every bike. Essentials. Oh, and one bike isn't enough. :laugh:

TBH we have a stock of loo roll as we order a bulk delivery from 'Who gives a crap' - three months worth - environmentally wrapped/recycled paper and it's rolled properly, unlike most other loo papers that have a loose roll, so you get half the sheets.

My cat food stash is quite large - about 300 packs currently and 4 bags of litter, but considering I'm buying a box of 40 for £11, and the supermarket want north of £15 (same with the litter), you've got to do it.

At least people can't panic fuel buy, it's too expensive.

Today's job is to actually go through both freezers to find out what we have. I actually do know there is quite a lot of frozen fish and frozen rhubarb, neither of which I eat.
 

stephec

Squire
Location
Bolton
It's not that long ago.

FB_IMG_1791627621549.jpg
 

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ill see big John's knife and raise him one Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporter.

I

Pedant alert. You can't "see" then "raise" as that is a "string bet" which is not allowed.

I know this as I play in a high stakes poker
tournament. Here's one of the landlord's cats helping with a tricky decision, albeit she might be secretly signalling what cards I have. Still, I won a tenner last week!

IMG_2302.jpeg
 

Pblakeney

Über Member
Pedant alert. You can't "see" then "raise" as that is a "string bet" which is not allowed.

I know this as I play in a high stakes poker
tournament. Here's one of the landlord's cats helping with a tricky decision, albeit she might be secretly signalling what cards I have. Still, I won a tenner last week!

View attachment 824189

Bounty and beer is a strange combination. Just saying...
 

nogoodnamesleft

Senior Member
Strange how my cycling ghas in some respects put me in a better "prepping" situation. When I head off cycle touring (camping) I always only take new gas canisters but when I get home I always have a couple that are partially used. So now in the garage I have a fair number if part empty gas canisters. Only time they get used it when we have a (disappointingly frequent) power cut and I want a coffee.

No idea how long they would last in a "prepping" situation but would allow heating some tinned food.
 

katiewlx

Senior Member
This whole thread is becoming a walk down memory lane for me 😆
Y2K is something I remember well as I was heavily involved with it at work. There was a lot of nonsense talked about things like doors not opening (they have manual options), but there was a lot of serious stuff too that was either computer patched or mitigated against.
Y2K wasn't an issue because people prepared for it, not because it wasn't real.

totally this, we absolutely did tons of work and testing for at least 18months in advance as prep, so that it wasnt a problem because we made sure we fixed it.

but theres a litany of worked examples with time in software code that will do stupid things like lock a supermarket door, especially where alot of the lessons we learnt back then have already been lost, theres that one about the Boeing plane software that must be hard cold rebooted within 6months because if the clock overflows, it reboots the whole electrical system regardless of what stage of flight it is in, which shuts the engines down as the fuel pumps turn off because they dont get a signal from the master system telling them to stay on, and you have had to rely on airline maintenance doing patching and this reboot, always something fun o think about when you sit on a plane jetting to somewhere.

but of course everyone has forgotten Unix ntp rollover date is still there, less than 10 years to go now, followed swiftly by the Unix epoch rollover couple years laer ;) which back in Y2K world was the ah its decades away Im sure someone else will fix it all by then test.
 

Binky

Veteran
Spam, it lasts forever.
Pot noodles.
Corned beef, see spam.
Carnation milk.
Tinned curry, tinned chilli con carne, tinned vegetable chilli, tinned Irish stew, tinned chickpea dahl if I can find it.
Packets of noodles.
I am assuming the microwave will still work.

Electricity likely to be one of the first things to go so unless you have a generator then your microwave be useless.
 

Punkawallah

Veteran
Spam, it lasts forever.
Pot noodles.
Corned beef, see spam.
Carnation milk.
Tinned curry, tinned chilli con carne, tinned vegetable chilli, tinned Irish stew, tinned chickpea dahl if I can find it.
Packets of noodles.
I am assuming the microwave will still work.

Regardless, you can eat cold from the tin.
 
Top Bottom