Prepping for food shortages

Are you stockpiling?

  • Yes

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No

    Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Considering this

    Votes: 3 12.0%

  • Total voters
    25
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
I've read several reports suggesting the "super" El Nino that has formed could lead to poor crop harvests and shortages/price increases in one form or another.

Now I'm far from being a survivalist or even a prepper. I have started stockpiling items, that could be impacted and make up a significant proportion of my diet, namely:
  • basmati rice
  • arborio rice
  • couscous
  • pasta - various forms
  • lentils
  • porridge
  • Weetabix
  • sugar
  • vegetable/olive oil
  • white wine/cider vinegar
Initially I'm going for six months worth but might increase to a year when I see how much space is required. This isn't huge volumes. Rice for example I've based on three servings per week, 75g x 3 x 26 = 6kg, probably an overestimate.

I might extend this to add basic tinned stuffs that would help form the basis of a meal. I don't have a particular reason for this aspect:
  • passata
  • tinned tomatoes
  • tinned beans
  • tuna/anchovies/perhaps other fish
  • salt
  • basic herbs
  • stock pots
  • curry sauces
 
Last edited:

wakemalcolm

Legendary Member
Location
Ratho
You've forgotten option 4: Mods, stop this panic baiting.

Like toilet paper, there should be enough to go round, as long as it's not all stuck in @PaulSB's loft.

Prepping like this is all fine and well until big John from down the street comes to your door with a knife because his family's hungry and he's read somewhere that you've prepped.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
Foot, water, bog roll, blankets, means of heating food, EMP safe radios, batteries, blankets, weapons, NVGs. Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I also keep the camper well fuelled. In the event the gas fails heat g and possibly electric may also go down, and the webasto equipped camper can keep us warm and cook food for a couple of weeks. It also has 60 litre on board water supply that I keep fresh.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
An insulated tank on a van parked in a very sheltered spot? Its unlikely to freeze, and if things got that bad temperate wise id drain it and fill the many 10 litre flexible containers I keep in the garage.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
Prepping like this is all fine and well until big John from down the street comes to your door with a knife because his family's hungry and he's read somewhere that you've prepped.

Ill see big John's knife and raise him one Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporter.

I actually pay to keep it at the gun shop about a mile away as since I moved I haven't got round to sorting a gun safe, but if things started to look that smelly for society id go and get it.

Of course that wou,d only come out in extremis, proper breakdown of society type scenarios. Ive other ranged weapons at home, most notably a crossbow, to keep Big John amused in the meantime.
 
OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Squire
You've forgotten option 4: Mods, stop this panic baiting.

Like toilet paper, there should be enough to go round, as long as it's not all stuck in @PaulSB's loft.

Prepping like this is all fine and well until big John from down the street comes to your door with a knife because his family's hungry and he's read somewhere that you've prepped.

I'm far from panic baiting, simply interested in what, if any, action people are taking. I know a few ordinary people, like me, who just think it's a good idea to have a few kilos of rice in a cupboard in case there is a shortage. You seriously think that's a panic reaction?
 

wakemalcolm

Legendary Member
Location
Ratho
Ill see big John's knife and raise him one Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporter.

I actually pay to keep it at the gun shop about a mile away as since I moved I haven't got round to sorting a gun safe, but if things started to look that smelly for society id go and get it.

Of course that wou,d only come out in extremis, proper breakdown of society type scenarios. Ive other ranged weapons at home, most notably a crossbow, to keep Big John amused in the meantime.

You are big John AICMFP
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
I'm far from panic baiting, simply interested in what, if any, action people are taking. I know a few ordinary people, like me, who just think it's a good idea to have a few kilos of rice in a cupboard in case there is a shortage. You seriously think that's a panic reaction?


My supplies get rotated. Every week or so new stuff goes in and a corresponding amount of the oldest stuff comes out and into the kitchen, so its not being wasted. Mrs D is used to it, asks every week what she should add tonthe shopping list for the "bunker".
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
No prepping here. Our freezers are always full. I am not joining the panic buying as it leads to shortages. Why people just can't buy what they need. This panic will cause unnecessary shortages in the supply chain as it's not manageable logistically for the supermarkets/shops. Worse comes to worse, I'll eat what is available. We are too used to eating food when we want, especially if it's out of season and has lots of air miles behind it. The only things I do bulk buy is cat food and litter as it's cheaper, way cheaper that way and we usually buy a month at a time.

If we have power issues, or gas supply problems, I've a tonne of camping stuff and a decent power station should we get a blackout, but that's not prepping, it's just camping.

What will happen is we will get the situation we saw in covid, for no reason.
 

Punkawallah

Veteran
I've read several reports suggesting the "super" El Nino that has formed could lead to poor crop harvests and shortages/price increases in one form or another.

Now I'm far from being a survivalist or even a prepper. I have started stockpiling items, that could be impacted and make up a significant proportion of my diet, namely:
  • basmati rice
  • arborio rice
  • couscous
  • pasta - various forms
  • lentils
  • porridge
  • Weetabix
  • sugar
  • vegetable/olive oil
  • white wine/cider vinegar
Initially I'm going for six months worth but might increase to a year when I see how much space is required. This isn't huge volumes. Rice for example I've based on three servings per week, 75g x 3 x 26 = 6kg, probably an overestimate.

I might extend this to add basic tinned stuffs that would help form the basis of a meal. I don't have a particular reason for this aspect:
  • passata
  • tinned tomatoes
  • tinned beans
  • tuna/anchovies/perhaps other fish
  • salt
  • basic herbs
  • stock pots
  • curry sauces

Fish. Barrels.
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I started prepping a while ago…..

IMG_7236.jpeg
 

SteveH80

Senior Member
Living up in the hills, remembering the Beast from the East and being subject to the vagaries of Northern PowerGrid we are always prepped enough for a couple of weeks. It's mostly tins, dried stuff and the freezer.
We have a small camping generator that can keep the freezer cold, the lamps on, the gas central heating pump going and the WiFi/TV (the wife goes bonkers otherwise). Petrol can be siphoned from the vehicles if needs be so they are kept topped up.
Camping stove etc is there if we run out of gas.
A couple of hundred quid in cash because no electricity = card payments not working.
That won't see me through the collapse of western society but it will keeps things comfortable till the authorities can get their act together. Storm Arwen was 48 hours for the BBC to notice 250,000 Northern homes without power and 10 days for Northern PowerGrid to get the electrons moving again so that's the kind of risk I'm mitigating against.
 
Top Bottom