Prescription cycling glasses advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's probably a million threads about them but thought I would seek about my own particular issues and latest suppliers etc...

So.... I've been advised never to wear contact lenses regularly again after a very painful eye problem last week. dailies once or twice a week for around 8 hours day was suggested... but after 30 years of over 14 hours a day everyday.... I've had a good run and 8 hours twice a week is peeing in the wind really.... 8 hours! I'd be taking them out at work..... so decided not to bother. I've ordered 2 pairs of varifocals 1 x normal and 1 x cool sunglasses.... Now cycling glasses.... I used ride in sun tint lenses or yellow low light (and occasionally clears)

I'm thinking best option is non prescription glasses that take RX inserts?

I'd prefer the single visor lens type as they are easier to change lenses but used both types in the past. Most recently though it was separate lens style.

And do people bother with varifocal lenses in them? I can read Garmin ok with old single vision glasses I'm wearing until new ones arrive but would struggle with phone/watch and cafe menus.

Any experiences and advice anyone wants to share would be welcome and any recommended suppliers would be helpful.

Not sure when i would be buying though as bank account is still recovering from car repair bill and 2 pairs of glasses and don't want another money related conversation just right now! but don't want to risk new expensive delicate and scratchable varifocals for too long for riding in.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got a set of Puma RX05 from Specsavers, but I'm not sure that they still do them (they were a special order) although they're still listed at other retailers, that have inserts with 3 separate sets of changeable lenses (red iridescent mirrored, orange and clear) - they're also available with a silver/grey frame which comes with different lenses. I've only got my distance prescription in them - I can manage the close up stuff without resorting to varifocals.

puma.JPG

Mrs ND got a very reasonable pair from Boots opticians that she is really happy with - again, we had to ask for them as they weren't on display but they have a single changeable lens (they came with a clear and a tinted) and were quite a bit cheaper than the Puma ones.

OP
OP
simon the viking
My two new pairs are from specsavers but I didn't ask about cycling glasses. Cant see those on their website. Thank you for advice may ask in store when I go to collect normal ones. May look down a factory outlet route as want to keep cost down however obviously I know quality is obviously the key.... so sort of a catch 22

at the minute I'm using flip up clip ons for driving as no prescription sunglasses may start using these for cycling over my old glasses just lenses are quite small and don't keep bugs and dust out as well as wrap arounds.

AyJay

Über Member
I had the same problem trying to get prescription cycling glasses. I solved this with purchasing "normal" sunglasses with prescription lenses. I have managed to find an optician who can supply lenses for a wraparound glass frame. The likes of Specsavers are unable or unwilling to supply this product. (This is only my opinion based on my experience in my local area)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I usually ride in my usual varifocals. I've had some problems in the past at extreme speeds (>40mph) with wind getting round the edges, but by and large it's not a problem.

I do have a pair of something from Specsavers with a dark single-vision lens, but I don't much like them - the lens insert is too close to my eyelashes. I have also in the past used Optilabs (one of the PL - prescription lens frames), and would highly recommend them. They're not exactly stylish unless you like the goggles look, but they're good quality and will take a photochromic single-vision lens.

I get around the close-vision problem by taking my specs off - I can squint at a map and see detail reasonably easily.

vickster

Legendary Member
I usually ride in my usual varifocals. I've had some problems in the past at extreme speeds (>40mph) with wind getting round the edges, but by and large it's not a problem.

I do have a pair of something from Specsavers with a dark single-vision lens, but I don't much like them - the lens insert is too close to my eyelashes. I have also in the past used Optilabs (one of the PL - prescription lens frames), and would highly recommend them. They're not exactly stylish unless you like the goggles look, but they're good quality and will take a photochromic single-vision lens.

I get around the close-vision problem by taking my specs off - I can squint at a map and see detail reasonably easily.

This (I went and tried all the direct glazed options on as the showroom isn't far away) on and they looked horrendous on me) ^^ Which is why I went for Oakleys in the end, although expensive, they weren't actually much more than Optilabs with equivalent lenses (single vision, polarising, transitions)

Didn't personally like the feeling of the insert options

Tom B

Guru
I suppose it depends on your use and prescription.

I don't fancy contacts and my prescription isn't very suitable for contacts. Glasses have saved me from getting spit in my eyes (a key infection route) bugs, dirt, mud, or just plain whacked in the eye so I wear glasses. I also have hayfever.

Having paid £100+ I now don't pay more than about twenty quid for prescription glasses, I buy them from speckfoureyed.com. (SFE) That way I'm not upset if they get broken. I'm currently wearing some Bench brand glasses if brands are important. - I believe this is some sort of trendy brand type thing, innit.

I have some prescription sunglasses from SFE that are just from the normal prescription sunglasses range. I deliberately chose something that was wide and tallish. I have bent them slightly at the nose so they fit closer and they're perfect on thr bike.

I ride mtb and narrow flat bar hybrid bikes and find myself looking through the top third of the lens. I read somewhere a few days ago about someone who stopped riding drops because he found himself looking over the top of his glasses and I can see how that would happen but isn't an issue for me.

As far as coatings go, I don't bother with any except antiscratch anti reflective because I am told the coating is hydrophobic and makes the rain bead off better.

I tend to push my glasses closer to my eyes when riding. (I initially typed "I push my glasses right up my nose" but that didn't read right).

I think it is a case of trying and getting used to having glasses on again. Of course theyll sell you glasses for anything.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Going down the different route of RX inserts, the factory place I mentioned can glaze RX inserts for less than £40 so bought a pair of single lens wrap arounds off Amazon for £20 with 6 interchangeable lens, case, head band and empty RX insert.... and take them to her.

Top Bottom