Prescription cycling glasses advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simon the viking
Have you tried inserts. They just felt really weird to me!
Err... no...:shy: I have heard this.. but thought it was a bit of a trade off against direct glazed as only have to buy 1 pair for all year round use.... just hope I can get on with them.....

To be honest I'd rather be wearing contact lenses like I did for 25 years but... don't think eye department would be sympathetic next given the advice i had from them

vickster

Legendary Member
Err... no...:shy: I have heard this.. but thought it was a bit of a trade off against direct glazed as only have to buy 1 pair for all year round use.... just hope I can get on with them.....

To be honest I'd rather be wearing contact lenses like I did for 25 years but... don't think eye department would be sympathetic next given the advice i had from them
I only got one pair of direct glazed...transitions lenses :smile: did the optician not offer?

OP
OP
simon the viking
Where exactly is that please Simon? I'm just down the road in Moira and am on the lookout for some cycling eyewear.

Its called personal-eyzed and its on rinkway in swad off Hearthcote road just up from Lloyds, she seemed very helpful and suggested I buy a pair off the internet and take the insert to her as it would be cheaper than her getting them

OP
OP
simon the viking
I only got one pair of direct glazed...transitions lenses :smile: did the optician not offer?

I did think about that but I had another look at the leaders but didnt like them black surround around the lens.. so thought i'd try an insert pair as i do like the orange/yellow lens in winter

Filippo

As a student dispensing optician, specs wearer and cyclist, I know where you're coming from. Inserts are a great option and they certainly give you more flexibility with regards to lens tints as these can be swapped and changed depending the conditions you're riding in and a lot cheaper than their prescription counterparts.

Also if you're prescription changes it's cheaper to replace the prescription lenses in the insert rather than a directly glazed lens. With specs you do get what you pay for, if you want something cycling specific, check out adidas, rudy project and tifosi all of which have models which can take an insert and at a variety of prices.

Personally I ride with the tifosi dolomite with a prescription photochromic lenses which works well for me on long rides. Hope this helps and if I can help out just shout

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I ordered some but they didn't work; wraparound types often have a high minimum PD which won't suit most people. They'd made mine with a PD of 69 - the lowest the frames would allow - nstead of the required 61 and it felt as if my head was being pulled apart. Inserts would be more likely to work, or just get some normal shape frames, which is what I did in the end.

My prescription is a modest +1.75 and +3 so I usually ride without glasses; the lack of distortion helps compensate for the slight blur*. Glasses aren't good in the rain anyway.

*being longsighted, my eyes can compensate for a lot of it by focusing closer; if you're shortsighted, you might need the glasses more

OP
OP
simon the viking
I've ordered some insert type glasses off Amazon for about 20 quid.... a local 'factory' optician is glazing the insert, hopefully I'll get on with them.... if not its not a massive amount of cash I've lost... (annoying though cause 50 quid is 50 quid and I could have spent it on new track mitts, Bar Tape..... etc etc....)

They can't be any worse than cycling in normal glasses... bugs getting down the side and bright sunshine annoying me.....,

rickh01

Über Member
This is a really interesting post. I never even thought about this but I also wear glasses but put up with it. But after seeing this I'm now going to enquire at my opticians about having a set made

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Depends what shape normal glasses you wear. Wayfarers are quite big and well-shaped, having been designed as sunglasses. Anything minimal isn't great for cycling.

Top Bottom