Prescription direct glazed cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a numpty this morning I jumped into the sea with my cycling specs on ! Specs were lost on impact ! - really annoying.

Anyway - anybody know a reputable site that does direct glazed Rudy project or similar - wrap around specs.

My prescription is - 5 - last time a lot of places wouldnt do them because of that.

Not interested in inserts - or optilabs.....

Just an online supplier who does direct glazed wraps ? - any suggestions ?

vickster

Legendary Member
What a numpty this morning I jumped into the sea with my cycling specs on ! Specs were lost on impact ! - really annoying.

Anyway - anybody know a reputable site that does direct glazed Rudy project or similar - wrap around specs.

My prescription is - 5 - last time a lot of places wouldnt do them because of that.

RxSport or ExtremeEyewear worth a look, I’ve had prescription Oakleys in the past from both (can’t speak to your prescription though, phone them). Expect to pay north of £300
https://www.rxsport.co.uk/
https://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk/

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
RxSport or ExtremeEyewear worth a look, I’ve had prescription Oakleys in the past from both (can’t speak to your prescription though, phone them). Expect to pay north of £300
https://www.rxsport.co.uk/
https://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk/

Yeah - it's been an expensive morning ! Fully expecting costs as you state.

I got my last ones from extreme eyewear - but not sure if they are still trading - they are much cheaper than anyone else.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
https://sportsglasses.online/

I got mine from here, he had a stand at a cycling show. He's not the quickest at making them up, but the lens / vision quality was excellent.

I got the "Breakaway" model. varifocals with faster transitions tints were £289.

Might be worth checking you home insurance - you might be able to claim for the loss

Of course your premium might magically go up so it is a judgement call - but might be worth thinking of

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah - it's been an expensive morning ! Fully expecting costs as you state.

I got my last ones from extreme eyewear - but not sure if they are still trading - they are much cheaper than anyone else.

Phone them 01904 693377

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Why discount optilabs?
I’ve used them a few times and have always been very pleased.
But I agree with you about inserts.

vickster

Legendary Member
What is the problem with inserts??
I was looking at some a while ago at the opticians and they looked pretty good

Is there a problem with them?

They look weird and your eyelashes can brush against them which is very annoying! Not sure you’d get full peripheral vision either

vickster

Legendary Member
Why discount optilabs?
I’ve used them a few times and have always been very pleased.
But I agree with you about inserts.

Personally I think their ‘styles’ are pretty poor and spec for spec, not much cheaper than Oakley etc if you have a discount voucher

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Those are chunky plasticky things!

and your point is what?

if you want sunglasses that look similar to
1697532013017.png

then your prescription part is a clip or an insert which the OP doesn't want. You cant put a prescription in a large arced piece of glass / plastic.

if you want something that keeps the wind out of eyes and can contain a decent prescription (the Op is -5) then its going to be a bit chunky by definition, but they do the job very effectively. Its also pretty handy to have transitions so you're not swapping glasses for changing light conditions and going into cafe's etc. Also having the option of Varifocals is there too with this style. Plus a single vision prescription starts at £129, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than Oakleys/ RudyP
1697532140529.png

cycling glasses have pretty much become anti fashion anyway, all styles look "distinctive" but ugly in one sense or another.

Last edited:

Dadam

They look weird and your eyelashes can brush against them which is very annoying! Not sure you’d get full peripheral vision either

I guess it depends how long your eyelashes are, I don't have an issue ^_^

I do find they are slightly more prone to misting as they're closer to your eyes. Peripheral vision doesn't seem to be an issue at all. The ones I've got cover the area of eye movement, I physically can't move my eyes enough to directly look beyond them! And it actually doesn't really matter if the "real" peripheral vision zone does not have prescription coverage, as that area does not depend on sharp focus; it's one of those neat c con tricks the brain plays with your vision. Outside the area of the fovea, your eyes aren't actually giving fine detail to your brain.

As a middle aged bloke on a bicycle I'm really beyond being bothered about looking weird! :laugh:

Recently I did have a problem seeing my Garmin with my single vision inserts but some 12 quid stick on bifocal lenses sorted that. That said I am going to get some of the fully glazed prescription type, but probably not until next summer now.

vickster

Legendary Member
and your point is what?

if you want sunglasses that look similar to
View attachment 710405
then your prescription part is a clip or an insert which the OP doesn't want. You cant put a prescription in a large arced piece of glass / plastic.

if you want something that keeps the wind out of eyes and can contain a decent prescription (the Op is -5) then its going to be a bit chunky by definition, but they do the job very effectively. Its also pretty handy to have transitions so you're not swapping glasses for changing light conditions and going into cafe's etc. Also having the option of Varifocals is there too with this style. Plus a single vision prescription starts at £129, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than Oakleys/ RudyP
View attachment 710406

cycling glasses have pretty much become anti fashion anyway, all styles look "distinctive" but ugly in one sense or another.

I have direct glazed prescription Oakleys that are half (or less) rim https://www.oakley.com/en-gb/product/W0OO9164 , which I thought is what the OP wants?
Those ones look more like swimming goggles to me!
Full chunky plastic frames look dreadful on me, same with normal glasses (unfortunately as this is very much the fashion, esp for women)

Last edited:
Top Bottom