Prescription direct glazed cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I've tried both optilabs and the inserts. Optilabs worked ok - but the frames were huge.

The Rudy projects have been great . So want to get those again- I didn't want the thread to become a discussion of inserts + optilabs. I'm sure they work fine for some people.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've tried both optilabs and the inserts. Optilabs worked ok - but the frames were huge.

The Rudy projects have been great . So want to get those again- I didn't want the thread to become a discussion of inserts + optilabs. I'm sure they work fine for some people.

Did you get hold of Extreme Eyewear?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
For anyone interested in wraps with a strong prescription this is what £310 gets you ! - lot of cash but really nice specs hats off to extreme eyewear.
1000011063.jpg

Last edited:

Dadam

Probably when the weather improves next year I'll be procuring a spendy set of cycling glasses: varifocal, wraparound, photochromic. For now I'm making do with the Rockbros with single vision inserts with stick on bifocals! The inserts have snapped about half a dozen times and are now nearly as much superglue/baking soda as original plastic! :laugh:

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Probably when the weather improves next year I'll be procuring a spendy set of cycling glasses: varifocal, wraparound, photochromic. For now I'm making do with the Rockbros with single vision inserts with stick on bifocals! The inserts have snapped about half a dozen times and are now nearly as much superglue/baking soda as original plastic! :laugh:

Bear in mind the lead times will probably increase over the summer .

Bristolian

I was very tempted by direct glazed glasses but I need bifocals as a minimum and varifocals ideally so the cost was pretty high (£350+) - much like my normal prescription glasses actually. The thought of falling off the bike and scratching/breaking something of that value decided me against it so I started looking around for alternatives. Eventually I purchased these from Amazon and went to Specsavers to have the insert glazed. They did a really good job of some custom bifocals using my distance and reading prescription but making the reading area larger than normal. I'm now only risking an £18 pair of wrap around glasses and £60-odd lenses, which I think is reasonable.

Mike_P

Guru
Another problem with inserts is getting an insect walking between the glasses glass and the insert. Optilabs also do prescription glasses without inserts.

Dadam

Transitions lenses - single vision - expensive enough without throwing varifocal into the mix....!!!

No such option for me. They'd be pretty much useless without varifocal or at least bifocal.

For daily wear I go for the top tier varifocal lenses. No point skimping on your primary sense, and something I wear every waking moment. As a specs wearer since the age of 7 I cannot abide blurry vision.

I had a talk with the optician a few months ago

He agreed with me that, in my case anyway, I didn;t need the lower part of the varifocals
My long distance vision is good enough to see the speedo (ebike) and other things I need

probably get a problem if I get totally lost and need to use the phone to navigate back home but I would have to stop anyway so would just get the normal glasses out of the bag

I was going to get them and use them as sun glasses on holiday - but didn;t get round to it

really must give them a try but I can;t remember the brand - but they were inserts

Top Bottom